Review - Syren Servo-Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serving rope, or rope wrapping is one of the more tedious tasks of model ship rigging. Several years ago I purchased the Servo-Matic serving machine kit from Syren Model Ship company. The tool comes as a kit that requires assembly similar to a model. It is composed of laser cut wooden parts, some brass tubing, common paper clips, and a few hardware bits. Assembly was quick and easy. Once assembled, the tool makes for an attractive display piece but unfortunately is not very useful as an actual serving tool. The tool operates manually and can only serve a short amount of rope at a time. In addition, no printed instructions come with the kit (this was to save cost). Instructions can be downloaded and a video is available online.

File Jul 20, 4 34 58 PM.jpeg

IMG_0242.jpg

The kit costs $57 + $2.50 for shipping.

In my opinion, this is more of a toy than a tool. The price is quite high considering it's usefulness. Save your money. For a better investment you can get a much higher quality product from Domanoff Workshop. They offer 3 different models of serving machines starting at $110. You can check them out here:

Last edited:
This is the tool I expressed my negative opinion on at MSW. One unfortunate owner of this serving tool posted a help topic. His wood sprockets / wood axle supports started to disintegrate due to wear. I pretty much said tool is garbage and it should have not been designed as this. Owner of Syren business stepped out and took these comments as a personal offense. Some other members stood behind the Syren owner.

Last edited:
On the planet Earth there is review on every single product ,amazon ,ebay or any department store website etc,even doctors has a thirdparty website and you can leave a feedback about his service,that means they supposed to harrass -and bully about it?

as for this product ,I do not recomend it ,unless you need expensive firewood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back