Richard's 19" canoe [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great job on your canoe, PT-2!!
Thank you for your compliments. I hope to do better with the second one using lessons learned. . . . at least as many as I can remember but I think that the kick back will come when I am at the previous troubling task. My harbor is always open to suggestions and will remain so no matter how long that I continue or builds undertaken. PT-2

Your canoe looks great.
Yes more attention to be paid in the finer details of finishing on the hull.
That really is the "challenge" in building such a model, although this is eased by the quality of the wood used.
As I wrote earlier but in other words:
"keep you eyes on the prize" (the finished model) all the way through the construction.
Reminder for the next canoe or next model:
- Dry fit every piece of wood that goes into it: no glue until it fits right.

You should be proud of your achievement.
G

Your canoe looks great.
Yes more attention to be paid in the finer details of finishing on the hull.
That really is the "challenge" in building such a model, although this is eased by the quality of the wood used.
As I wrote earlier but in other words:
"keep you eyes on the prize" (the finished model) all the way through the construction.
Reminder for the next canoe or next model:
- Dry fit every piece of wood that goes into it: no glue until it fits right.

You should be proud of your achievement.
G
Thank you. I am gathering materials for a bank-side presentation with the canoe on shore tied to a stump and brush behind. The artistic paint a scene approach to the finished canoe. PT-2

I should have been posting more photos on the log instead or replying to other threads. I see that the prior photos have floated into the log somehow. There have been twice daily sandings, ever finer, and coats of water based Varathane since these. As of Sept 2nd I have started on a presentation diorama during available build and finish drying time. I'll put that up when in progress. PT-2

Time for an update with the status of my canoe presentation. A couple of materials wandering ventures and then gluing some floral arrangements foam on to a board, scraping and sanding, and then planting my own bank side native area. First test of the canoe onto the faux bank showed that some bank under the hull has to be added. After drying and a satisfactory positioning I will get some thin wood to finish off the sides. I will also replace the trial painter line with one that I can "walk off" with a smaller diameter.
Here is a series of crude photos from today showing also the need for a frame of some type to support a black cloth backdrop. 9.5 Canoe A.jpg9.5 Canoe Board.jpg9.5 Canoe B.jpg9.5 Canoe C.jpg9.5 Canoe D.jpg9.5 Canoe E.jpg9.5 Canoe F.jpg9.5 Canoe G.jpg9.5 Canoe H.jpg9.5 Canoe I.jpg

A real pleasure to watch!! Well made and deserves a trophy! First Place Metal
Thank you very much. It has been a great first build and learning experience. I am waiting to receive another lumber order for a shorter one with my slight modification of the stems. In the mean time I can assemble a black cloth backdrop frame and begin to remove the laser char on the keel and frames of my pending Bluenose. I am using the canoes as my learning curve for planking that larger schooner. PT-2

The mahogany strips I worked with in the past have been ok: nice and flexible.
2 things I did not like: the grain, quite porous, which made it difficult to get that smooth / glassy finish I am after, and the colour: way to dark for my liking.
G

The mahogany strips I worked with in the past have been ok: nice and flexible.
2 things I did not like: the grain, quite porous, which made it difficult to get that smooth / glassy finish I am after, and the colour: way to dark for my liking.
G
The mahogany strips arrived yesterday along with a plank for the stations which were cut out and mounted. When I tried a dry test strip I didn't like the sharp bend around center station #2 so I have faired it down closer to the form of stations #3 giving it a bit more narrow beam with a smoother hull transition. I also have modified the stems to a more traditional curve that is not as sexy as those in Gilles' pattern but more rounded than a plumb or slightly angled back stem. Photos will follow when stripping is begun. PT-2

The mahogany strips arrived yesterday along with a plank for the stations which were cut out and mounted. When I tried a dry test strip I didn't like the sharp bend around center station #2 so I have faired it down closer to the form of stations #3 giving it a bit more narrow beam with a smoother hull transition. I also have modified the stems to a more traditional curve that is not as sexy as those in Gilles' pattern but more rounded than a plumb or slightly angled back stem. Photos will follow when stripping is begun. PT-2
You are right about the dark color of the mahogany so I will have to use that to advantage with lighter accent strips. PT-2

Second 17 inch being made using mahogany which besides being much darker than I anticipated is a very hard wood and splits/breaks easily so I have to be very careful after a few such losses. I have the first gunwale strips finally placed after several passes back and forth as measured and transferred marks from one side to the other were not successful as the wood grain and internal stresses wanted to take other curves. I made a transfer device which I used and have attached in a photo with a 3/8 x 3/32 threaded rod 10 inches long and related nuts and washers. The base measuring area is shown on the attached photo. I have the first strip set above the gunwale but will wait until I have some accent strips in place before sending any more photos.
Cherry and Pear definitely are sweeter in their return than mahogany. . . live and learn. PT-2Home made transfer device.jpg

Onwards with the current 17-inch mahogany version. At this stage someone may say that I wear belt and suspenders but from the status photo you will see what may be a contest between a galley and the inverted canoe or maybe it is the left over bones of a salmon after a griz feasted for a while. Bluenose is hovering over in the upper left corner waiting for the inboard bulkheads to be trimmed to proper stanchion sizes.
As we are building small strippers I am carrying this to an extreme with my zebra boat of many species/colors. . . possibly to disaster but why not play??? PT-2Canoe 9.15 Status.jpg

Here is the "winged" status as the mahogany and basswood accent strips are being laid on. More photos when a few more are in place. Also my points transfer device made and used but the mahogany didn't want to comply so the gunwale strip was pinned where it was the happiest and best curve.Home made transfer device.jpg9.15 Status.jpg

Nice and tight planking.
The look from the mahogany is exactly what I remember (have not used that wood for years).
G.

Nice and tight planking.
The look from the mahogany is exactly what I remember (have not used that wood for years).
G.
Thank you. My real challenge and not as well set are the strips at the stems with the transition from the rounded chine onto the more flat bottom to close it up. Those are getting a lot of dry fit sanding to get them as well into place with the herringbone closure as I can. No problem in the midships strips faces mating but the tapering ends meeting the somewhat rolled over stem areas are a work to be thought out and possibly heat bent in future builds. Lessons still being learned. PT-2

Back