Rigging attachments to deck

I need advice on attaching rigging to the deck of the Halifax model I am building.
Fig. 1. Around Main Mast.jpg
Fig. 1 shows the detail of endpoints for the rigging. As can be seen, only 72, 73, 33, 34 show eyelets to be insserted to the deck. surely, all the blocks around the main mast must be attached with eyelets as well? Then there are many lines such as 39, 41, 43 that also attach at the main mast.
Fig. 2 shows rigging lines 17 and 19; Fig. 3 shows them attached to the deck. Eyelets?Fig. 2.  17 and 19.jpg

Fig. 3.  19 on deck.jpg
Looking forwards to reponse.
Jan

I need advice on attaching rigging to the deck of the Halifax model I am building.
View attachment 280972
Fig. 1 shows the detail of endpoints for the rigging. As can be seen, only 72, 73, 33, 34 show eyelets to be insserted to the deck. surely, all the blocks around the main mast must be attached with eyelets as well? Then there are many lines such as 39, 41, 43 that also attach at the main mast.
Fig. 2 shows rigging lines 17 and 19; Fig. 3 shows them attached to the deck. Eyelets?View attachment 280973

View attachment 280974
Looking forwards to reponse.
Jan
many of the points are ringbolts added to the deck. many lines starts here and then through blocks and end at pin on the rail

There are two books existing which are explaing a lot with the help of relatively simple sketches

for square riggers

and for

here check my photos of the look inside and you get already some answers, but in general these books are highly recommended to understand rigging

There are two books existing which are explaing a lot with the help of relatively simple sketches

for square riggers

and for

here check my photos of the look inside and you get already some answers, but in general these books are highly recommended to understand rigging
I have both the standing rigging and the running rig. down to details. The running rigging is divided into two: 1-concerning the mast/ yards and 2 the ones which are used for the sails. if you will have some details, tell me where to add them. only a sample

Attachments

• 00.png
    00.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 14
I have both the standing rigging and the running rig. down to details. The running rigging is divided into two: 1-concerning the mast/ yards and 2 the ones which are used for the sails. if you will have some details, tell me where to add them. only a sample
These are very good sketch(es) - maybe you can make a small topic with such sketches in this area:

These are very good sketch(es) - maybe you can make a small topic with such sketches in this area:
will do, when I am fully recovered.

Many thanks once again to all who have replied with invaluable advice.
Jan

The 17th century was a time of great change in ship technology. Concerning your drawing of rigging for a 17th century ship, it appears that the rigging shown is for an English ship, in the mid-late 17th century. This is judging from the presence of reef tackles and how where the blocks for the lifts are located. For a ship of the early 17th century, the would be probably be martnets instead of buntlines or leech lines, no and reef tackles. Continental ships would have blocks for the lifts located below the tops and not at the mastheads. It is fascinating to learn all the variations for rigging between nations and time periods, and very important to research the most likely correct style of rigging for your model. Certain ships have unique arrangements for lines which are different than the normal conventions. Many of these unique examples of rigging and belaying are lost to history, so we have to me a lot of guesses when it comes to rigging. R.C. Anderson is the best source out there for rigging for this century, but there may be other sources available depending on the ship model you are building.

1644248377877.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the insightful comment. The ship is. in fact, English. Halifax was built in 1765 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and bought by the British Navy in 1768.

20220209_151615.jpg
My question refers to (for instance) the line running from the end of the main mast spanker boom, shown as 23, via a block on the main mast, to the deck:
20220209_151645.jpg

On the deck, where does the line go after passing through the block 23? I have attempted to simlify the geometry with this sketch:
Fig 3.png

I hope my explanation (question) is clear.

Regards
Jan

when I am a little more recovered from a very strong Omicron attack 6 weeks ago, I promised some of the management to make a more clear way about the Rgen -both Standing and Running Riggen and all type of fastenings points and where. They are naturally different from minor sails boat to big warships but if they have mast and sails they will all need Standing and RunningRiggen to support mast yards and sails

1703-.jpg

08-PAGINA-08.jpg

when I am a little more recovered from a very strong Omicron attack 6 weeks ago, I promised some of the management to make a more clear way about the Rgen -both Standing and Running Riggen and all type of fastenings points and where. They are naturally different from minor sails boat to big warships but if they have mast and sails they will all need Standing and RunningRiggen to support mast yards and sails

View attachment 289782

View attachment 289784

images.jpg

6271e541be8812bf26a99b2e3cd5e248.jpg

The 17th century was a time of great change in ship technology. Concerning your drawing of rigging for a 17th century ship, it appears that the rigging shown is for an English ship, in the mid-late 17th century. This is judging from the presence of reef tackles and how where the blocks for the lifts are located. For a ship of the early 17th century, the would be probably be martnets instead of buntlines or leech lines, no and reef tackles. Continental ships would have blocks for the lifts located below the tops and not at the mastheads. It is fascinating to learn all the variations for rigging between nations and time periods, and very important to research the most likely correct style of rigging for your model. Certain ships have unique arrangements for lines which are different than the normal conventions. Many of these unique examples of rigging and belaying are lost to history, so we have to me a lot of guesses when it comes to rigging. R.C. Anderson is the best source out there for rigging for this century, but there may be other sources available depending on the ship model you are building.

View attachment 289228
You are completely right. The upper caps on the lower mast are different, as well as the Riggen of Gun. UK have back rope set fast at the end of the Cascabel in Spanish, where the oriental is going through a hole in the gun carriage and ser fast under the carriage. I have helped a few building the Spanish ship Montanes -my memory is very bad after my attack of Onicrom. he is from Poland and has done -after my instruction a extreamly good jod. You can find him here under Montanes or my memory or time to look up his name tomorrow.

Back