Rigging cat heads for anchors

Looking for a diagram of lines path thru cat head (cat falls) including where rope ends terminate? Lots of photos but not direction/path/sequence lines take. ?

Take a look here.......I think the rope through the cathead was fixed at one belaying point.
Here you can find a diagram / sketch

For which type of ship and period you are looking for?
Maybe I can find more in my library

Take a look here.......I think the rope through the cathead was fixed at one belaying point.
Here you can find a diagram / sketch

For which type of ship and period you are looking for?
Maybe I can find more in my library
Thanks! It’s for my Lady Nelson. It’s not a real ship, but a typical British Navy cutter.

Thanks! It’s for my Lady Nelson. It’s not a real ship, but a typical British Navy cutter.
The rope via the cathead was only a relatively short time under use, only after the anchor was lifted (anchor was lifted via the anchor cable over the windlass...) until the anchor was slashed against the hull. so it was only to secure the anchor in this phase.
I looked at the Anatomy book of the Cutter Alert - also here it is not visible where the rope was fixed, but I guess at one of the or belaying points or the pawl bitt pin
1.jpg 2.jpg

3.jpg

I am going to make a suggest that is frustrating to many modelers who strive for accuracy. It doesn't matter. Let me explain. Think of the function of the cathead and the rigging needed to accomplish that function. Where one exactly belays a line only matters to accomplish the function. So, keeping leverage in mind...belay the rigging to the nearest functional point even if that means you need to add a ring bolt or sheave. Yes, you can use diagrams of how actual ships accomplished the functions but when one thinks about it all, they simply rigged out the cathead to accomplish the function in the most efficient way possible. Sometimes thinking differently helps reduce the anxiety about doing it "exactly right!"

I am going to make a suggest that is frustrating to many modelers who strive for accuracy. It doesn't matter. Let me explain. Think of the function of the cathead and the rigging needed to accomplish that function. Where one exactly belays a line only matters to accomplish the function. So, keeping leverage in mind...belay the rigging to the nearest functional point even if that means you need to add a ring bolt or sheave. Yes, you can use diagrams of how actual ships accomplished the functions but when one thinks about it all, they simply rigged out the cathead to accomplish the function in the most efficient way possible. Sometimes thinking differently helps reduce the anxiety about doing it "exactly right!"
Wasn’t trying to make it complicated and my question isn’t about the belay point but how it runs through the sheaves and where the two ends terminate.
Obviously one end goes to a belay point, but does both. My question is practical not one of historical accuracy. I think I worded it as such, but thanks for the lecture.

Wasn’t trying to make it complicated and my question isn’t about the belay point but how it runs through the sheaves and where the two ends terminate.
Obviously one end goes to a belay point, but does both. My question is practical not one of historical accuracy. I think I worded it as such, but thanks for the lecture.
Sorry...my apologies. Typically one termination point is belayed to a block with a hook. Hook on one end...the rigging rope on the other. Thus the rope goes from the block up through a sheave on the cathead...down through the block hooked to the anchor ring...back through the second sheave...and if only two sheaves on the cathead the rope terminates on the bulkhead. If three sheaves then back down through a double block...back up through the third sheave and then terminated on the bulkhead at some point. My apologies again...did not mean to lecture...

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, and also sorry for the short reply - long days of being at home.....

Also the ships were rigged differently from captain to captain. The captain of the ship had the say as to how he wanted it rigged

Back