Rigging deadeyes - Shrouds

Pwh

After trying out several methods, I found an easy way to attach a deadeye and shroud. I "borrowed" an ear ring clasp from my wife's jewelry box. It attaches to the wire at the back of deadeye and firmly holds it place. while I wrap the shroud around the deadeye.

ear ring clasp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After trying out several methods, I found an easy way to attach a deadeye and shroud. I "borrowed" an ear ring clasp from my wife's jewelry box. It attaches to the wire at the back of deadeye and firmly holds it place. while I wrap the shroud around the deadeye.
That is a very cleaver way or re-purposing a "clamp" meant for definitely other delicate structures. Rich (PT-2) ;)

Good idea - maybe a small enhancement

you could use two of these stirrups of same length with the ear ring clasps! (blue)

28f4a587542388d859c1a36fcc2a45db.jpg

if you use only one it could happen, that with the tension by the shrouds the deadeye is turning
With this you are secure, that the holes of the deadeyes are at the correct positions

Like shown in your photo, the correct location of the holes of the lower deadeye would be shown in green

ear ring clasp.jpg

Screen Shot.jpg

I have been using this mini drill I got on eBay. Very manageable.
Here is the search criteria '3.7V 35W Mini Electric Drill Cordless Grinder Polisher Engraving Pen Rotary Kits'

View attachment 275000
What a great idea and my wife has a drawer full of clasps!

Back