Rigging Details

I am building a Caldercraft HMS Snake.
It is time to get my head around the rigging and how it works.
I understand that I should rig the shrouds first because on the masts the shrouds sit under the stays.
My problem is that in trying to understand the stays and backstays the plan sheets do not adequately show how the topmast stays and backstays
connect to the topmast at the crosstrees.

Is there anywhere I can get this detail ? Would it help if I take a piccie of the plans that are frustrating me?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Woody

Do a search on rigging, I know in help area there was a good discussion on best practices and what to do and why it was done a certain way.

Of course I learned rigging varies based on country and period.

Confucius said: If you want to feed a person ketch for him a fish. If you want to feed him for life, teach him fishing! Rigging is not a difficult task, but can be challenging for sure a time. If you understand how the ship is rigged and what is the functionality of each rig - you rigging task on the models will be much simplify. I suggest you to buy a book. It is a great book to learn as it all diagrams and descriptions.

1611430928721.png

Rigging Period Ship Models: A Step-By-Step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig by Lennarth Petersson: Good Hardcover (2011) | Ergodebooks (abebooks.com)

Darn you Jimsky, now I have found another book to buy and add to my collection so I know what to do when I get to that point in build.

Thanks for the information and source.
and here you can find a review of this book:

also interesting:

Confucius said: If you want to feed a person ketch for him a fish. If you want to feed him for life, teach him fishing! Rigging is not a difficult task, but can be challenging for sure a time. If you understand how the ship is rigged and what is the functionality of each rig - you rigging task on the models will be much simplify. I suggest you to buy a book. It is a great book to learn as it all diagrams and descriptions.

View attachment 207856

Rigging Period Ship Models: A Step-By-Step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig by Lennarth Petersson: Good Hardcover (2011) | Ergodebooks (abebooks.com)
This book should be perfect as it is based on the HMS Melampus, launched in 1785. Other references can include RC Anderson and James Lees. The full page pictures in this book are perfect, although there's not much explanation, the pictures tell all you want to know.

I am not familiar with the book by Lennath Peterson, although it sounds like one I should have in my library. I have used the information found in the book "The Art Of Rigging" by Capt. George Biddlecombe, R.N. This book explains the terms and phrases used in rigging. It has a progressive method of rigging expressly for sailing ships. The nucleus from which this book was developed can be found in "The Elements and Practices of Rigging and Seamanship" by David Steel, published in London, in 1794. One of the most interesting sections of the book contains tables of the quantities and dimensions of the standing and running rigging for all types of ships. Also included are the species, size, and the number of blocks, hearts, dead-eyes, etc.
It was most informative in the rigging of a 1/4" scale model of the U.S. Constitution. We made almost all of our various lines by hand so as to have the proper lay or twist to the line. It is available at Model Expo.

Shorebound Bill

Thanks to all of you who replied.
I did indeed buy a book.
Rigging - Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson.

Very impressive detail of each progressive step through the entire rigging system. I will be very helpful.

Woody

Back