Rigging drawing

Does anyone have a link to a good drawing of a ships rigging? I'm after something that is well labeled so I can maybe learn some names and locations of stuff. I need a place to start and thought that I might find a drawing on the web but there are so many that are so poorly labeled it's hard to go through. I thought someone may have found a nice generic drawing to give me a kick start.

Does anyone have a link to a good drawing of a ships rigging? I'm after something that is well labeled so I can maybe learn some names and locations of stuff. I need a place to start and thought that I might find a drawing on the web but there are so many that are so poorly labeled it's hard to go through. I thought someone may have found a nice generic drawing to give me a kick start.
Hi Don, specifically, what do you like more, a drawing or a book? Frank

I'm still trying to translate the book you sent me :). My grandaughter and her fella tried to translate it for 3 days but couldn't find a way to translate something that big so I think a drawing would be best.

I think I have enough rigging books, I just have to get a start somehow. Rigging is very intimidating.

Last edited:
Hi Don,

Here is a link to a very good book that explains a great deal about rigging.

Here is a download link.
56dbceced37b3

And this is a review of the book but it has a different cover.

I have that book and it's great but you have to know what you are looking for to find it in there. Granted I have a Kindle version and Kindle ain't great for browsing. You can't flip thought the pages with Kindle. I just want a picture to get going.

I have that book and it's great but you have to know what you are looking for to find it in there. Granted I have a Kindle version and Kindle ain't great for browsing. You can't flip thought the pages with Kindle. I just want a picture to get going.
To tell you the truth, and this is an expensive suggestion, get the Syren kit or perhaps the Mirage kit. I found that both of them give good rigging plans and in addition the Syren kit's instructions are really good. I have yet to do one with full sails but that is planned. In fact I am not even sure I like a ship with sails. It hides everything and all you see is sails.

To tell you the truth, and this is an expensive suggestion, get the Syren kit or perhaps the Mirage kit. I found that both of them give good rigging plans and in addition the Syren kit's instructions are really good. I have yet to do one with full sails but that is planned. In fact I am not even sure I like a ship with sails. It hides everything and all you see is sails.
You can download the Syren instructions from the

OK An example. On the picture below(foremast chainplates of the Discovery1789) you can see how the angle of the chains changes as you go aft. Except for the last two little ones (on the left) that are more vertical than the rest. I couldn't figure out why. If I had had a drawing that was labeled I could have looked at that found out that it was probably a back stay. Then I could look it up in one of my books. As it was it took a couple of hours of page by page hunting to find something that showed it.
I've seen drawings that show all the sails and what their names are but I'm looking for one that does the same for rigging.
I hope that clears up what I'm looking for. I seem to have trouble explaining what I want and English is my only language :) I'm in awe of you guys that manage when English is a second language.

DISCOVERY_1789_RMG_J2022z.jpg

Don Dressel has a powerpoint presentation that brings into light the various types of rigging. Let me see if I can find it. Is this the same Don as the one on this site?

Attachments

• Model_Rigging_Techniques.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 164
Don Dressel has a powerpoint presentation that brings into light the various types of rigging. Let me see if I can find it. Is this the same Don as the one on this site?
That looks like a great resource and I have saved it on my desktop. What I'm after is a drawing like on page 36 only with circles and arrows showing what each line is :)

Back