Rigging - swifters

Can anyone help me please.
I am trying to find out exactly what swifters were back in early Tudor times. As far as I can make out these were a type of stay, fitted to the mast before the shrouds, which were tensioned using tackles rather than deadeyes. But I cannot find any illustration or description of their placement, or details of the tackle system used. I think they might have been the precursor to the backstays utilised towards the back of the 16th century but am not sure on this. Searches on the net so far throw no further light on this. Perhaps there is a rigging book or such that covers the subject but the problem here is that you have to buy the book to find out that it doesn't. Does anyone out there have some info or can point me in the right direction?
Many thanks

Can anyone help me please.
I am trying to find out exactly what swifters were back in early Tudor times. As far as I can make out these were a type of stay, fitted to the mast before the shrouds, which were tensioned using tackles rather than deadeyes. But I cannot find any illustration or description of their placement, or details of the tackle system used. I think they might have been the precursor to the backstays utilised towards the back of the 16th century but am not sure on this. Searches on the net so far throw no further light on this. Perhaps there is a rigging book or such that covers the subject but the problem here is that you have to buy the book to find out that it doesn't. Does anyone out there have some info or can point me in the right direction?
Many thanks
Did you write this post as a test?
If not and you want to publish your request, you should repeat the mail in another area of our forum !!!
I guess here in this areas only a small number of members will read it

If not and you want to publish your request, you should repeat the mail in another area of our forum !!!

Pinterest <recommendations@inspire.pinterest.com. HAVE A LOOK ON PINTEREST.COM. I have apparently some under Barcos. I did not know that but get at least Weekly information on how many people have downloaded it.it is not one page, but more than 100 or more. each time you see an image you click on it and save it. you will now see, the main page has changed into what you wanted to see. you can search too. Uwe, when I have you -as do to Ictus -y short memory is short, so I will attach an image-think it was under HMS Essex- of gun rigged for- port closed but ready for battle and gunport closed and stored away. then the was a long conversation of a group of people have to make a mast and yards-which lathe to by and so on. I will attach what I used during more than 20 Years. I will have to try to find the right place for these images. I have never in my 60 Years of building had a lathe-dreehbenk​

Attachments

• Scan_0001.jpg
    Scan_0001.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 2
  • BARCOS 13-BOREMASKINE.jpg
    BARCOS 13-BOREMASKINE.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 2
Thanks Uwek
I wrote it out as a test and meant to post it and thought I had.
I must be getting old....

Back