Riva Aquarama 1970 by Amati [COMPLETED BUILD]

Had to do a factory reset on my phone so lost all the early photos but as others have said the initial frasme build is uneventful..interesting but nothing important to warn people about

The lime strips in the cabin floor were not successful as the cabin is not only asymetrical but also offset at an angle...go figure..? So the strips looked pretty stupid and all out of alignment. I reverted to the horrible brown plastic grating inset in a piece of 3mm ply provided but rather than stain match the ply I veneered it with spare mahogany
IMG_20221103_095617.jpg

IMG_20221103_084754.jpg

IMG_20221102_171111.jpgIMG_20221103_100515.jpg

IMG_20221103_103805.jpg

The end point...I wish..!

View attachment 338380
Interesting build and I will follow with big interest - I love the Rivas and Chris Crafts classic speed boats.

Do I understand it correctly, that you will adjust the kit and build the very special Lamborghini version, Hull No. 278 which was ordered in May 1968 by Ferruccio Lamborghini himself - installed two Lambo-engines and not the "normal" one .....
And only one was build with this configuration.

Just a tip! Make sure you fare off the forward bulkheads quite a lot. I fared them for the side planking but not enough because having completed 2 layers of planking and fitted the limewood deck I found the foredeck was just over 1cm too long! I therefore had to do a work around on the top deck side panels! I think it looks OK though. I found fitting the instrument switches very fiddly because the holes were rather too large for the switches even after several coats of varnish. I wish now I had fitted the switches before permanently fitting the dashboard into place. Perhaps a better idea would have been to temporally fit the dashboard in place with a bit if double sided tape in order to correctly position the top of the dashboard strips correctly. Once done, I would have then removed the front of the dashboard and fit the switches on a flat surface. I hope you don't feel 'I'm trying to tell Grannie how to suck eggs'!!
,Decks with 4 coats of varnish.jpg

IMG_20221019_161716.jpguIMG_20221019_161833.jpg

Also, when you get to fitting the saxboards I found this a bit of a challenge because of curves in two directions! My next job is painting below the waterline white. I'm waiting for the varnish to harden off before applying masking tape. I had a bit of a disaster earlier with the masking tape! See my thread on Amati Riva Aquarama for use on water.

Just getting the first layer of planking underway...funny not having a keel to work to. What sort of a boat doesn't have a keel..? duh...!! Mind you I think it is the first kit I have built where the panking stock covers the full hull length. Thanks Amati..

IMG_20221110_144853.jpg
IMG_20221109_115043.jpgIMG_20221110_144845.jpg

Good morning mallacoota, this segment of boats are not bandaged but with mahogany panels, you can't see the keel from the outside. Frank

Yes - the Riva had a keel, but uit was completely covered by the planking

Sheet-Plan-1.png RX1 160 b.jpg

RX1 157 b.jpg RX1 158 b.jpg

Great kit.I admit to being an Amati fan based on previous builds but the quality of the laser cutouts etc in this kit is really good.
Hallo @mallacoota
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on your Riva going? Maybe you have an update for us?

How's your build going? My build of the Riva has been on hold because of the cold weather making it too cold in my work room but I have now put two coats of undercoat and one coat of Humbrol gloss white onto the bottom. Once it is thoroughly hardened I will then start to put the chrome accessories on the decks etc. Have you had any thoughts about how to glue the chrome strip on that lies between the deck and the hull sides? I'm concerned that CA glue my run down and damage the lovely varnished mahogany finish.

White bottom finished.jpg

Back