Rope material

What are the considarations when choosing the rope material. Cotton thread vs the polyester thread?

Appreciate any knowledge or view on the issue.

Christos

I find using cotton thread the rope lies better. When using polyester, especially on larger diameters, the rope tends to get stiff and will not lie as well as the cotton.
I use Gutermann cotton thread and have had good results, with little or no fuzziness and the rope has a good "feel" to it. Some may say that by using polyester thread you can burn or melt the ends in order to stop unravelling of the rope, but in reality if the rope is made properly there should be no unravelling to begin with
This is only my own opinion and others may have found different, but for the price of thread try both and see which you prefer

This is a good rope supplier

One other consideration...I have experienced CA glues weaken nylon and polyester threads if too much is inadvertently used...the CA melts the thread. As an aside...I use polystyrene strip shapes for moldings, etc. CA will melt the polystyrene as well.
there is a type of CA called “Foame safe Ca,that won’t melt the poly.

Hey all...sorry for being absent. I have been working on a model that I have not posted in any forum. When one does that they tend to neglect keeping in touch! I will be more active...

Great hint above about CA for foam! I will get some for the nylons and styrenes! Awesome!

Last edited:
Back