rotating jig for holding ship

I haven't read anywhere, but the question or query is it worth having an adjustable base or jig that the ship is clamped into. It revolves on it's length axis, So planking etc. can be done without really having to stand above it to work.
I am thinking of adding something like this before the next build. I find while sitting sometimes it's awkward to do the deck beams , furniture, planking and wish it was at a slight angle to the table top.
Do any of you gents use something like this?
Dav

Yes, I do.
http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=412

Tadeusz
My models:
From kits
Vasa
HMS Victor
Le Solei Royale
Friesland
From scratch
HMS Warrior 1860
Esplanade
Grosse Yacht
Norman’s ship
HMS Speedy
La Royale
Peter von Danzig
Current project
s/s Savannah 1818

Thanks Tadeusz
I like the idea How do you keep frame straight as you build though. Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry not to have responded earlier.

I often use an Amati Keel Clamper myself, although I mostly use it to hold a model for taking measurements and when I work off of the model. When I'm framing and planking, I will commonly use a building board I make specifically for the model, so keeping the keel straight is not an issue. Also, when actually adding the planking, I usually work on the hull with the model on my lap.

But, when I'm locating details and need to move the model around, having it on a stand is generally very helpful as I can turn it around easily and still have it sitting up right and up off the work table.

Clare

I have read a few posts on this site regarding rotating jigs. In the middle of our dining table is the most perfect solution (for me that is) but the Admiral will not let me have it. It is made from the most beautiful green marble and has on it just about everything else other than what it was originally designed for. It is a LAZY SUZAN or SUSAN. The Admiral said we can check out the op shops tomorrow and see if we can get a wooden one. The Lazy Susans usually spin a ball bearing which is usually too fast, a few pieces of wood can be put between the two to act as some sort of a brake but still allow easy rotation. I am not sure if it is the same name in the USA or Europe.
Eric

Back