Round Gunports

Trying to decide best way to cut round gun ports into ship planking. Is it best to enlarge a drilled hole using files or to drill directly using something like a forstner bit. Worried about break-out on inside surface. Any suggestions on methodology, jigs, etc. Would be appreciated.

I would drill smaller hole and enlarged with the round file. Besides after making a first smaller hole I would apply diluted PVA everywhere in and around the hole and let it fully dry. This will prevent splits when doing a final filing.

Trying to decide best way to cut round gun ports into ship planking. Is it best to enlarge a drilled hole using files or to drill directly using something like a forstner bit. Worried about break-out on inside surface. Any suggestions on methodology, jigs, etc. Would be appreciated.
A forstner bit would be dangerous to use for sure. I would start with a small bit drill and work out to enrage the hole using the next drill bit. To finish the hole for the required size, use sandpaper around the wooden dowel with a close diameter or round files.

I've seen one guy where he would run the drill bit in reverse to avoid chipping. Start small and work up.

Many thanks for all the useful comments. I plan to make some mock ups to evaluate some of the suggested alternatives before committing to the actual model.

i have had success with a step bit it is a conical drill bit that increases in size . go through one side till you get to the size of hole you want then the other side to even the hole out. can be used on a drill or by hand locked in a vise grips. ( drill on low speed works better) cuts very clean with no tear-out. just start with a small pilot hole as a guide.

Back