Royal Caroline 1/47 Panart by Messis [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hermione now sits in my library on a nice furniture covered with glass. Coronivirus lock-down continuous though things look much better. In the last days Cyprus marks single digit numbers.

Actually I wasnt planning to start a new model so soon, but lock-down drove my hand to the cupboard where the R.Caroline kit was stored.

A kit in a scale that I really desire to build... where details can be seen, I hope. Its my second ship of the 18th century. After Hermione I though the scale and the rich decoration of this ship, it can become a much enjoyable build.

So am sailing again.20200427_133952.jpg

Last edited:
Fabulous I will follow along.I have mine to finish on my list of many projects.I have seen some very nice models built from this kit and the list is endless as to how far you want to go.
Beware though,if you buy the AOS book,you will find that the kit hull does not match the book drawings.I have the book and just used it to add details.The rigging plan is particularly good in the book as well.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I am very happy, that you started this building log - I will follow with big interest.
For everybody interested, we have a kit review in SOS
but also the book review
and some info about her History

@Heinrich you are very wellcome

@NMBROOK yes Nigel you are right I have the book... I am going to try a few modifications according to the book. Still I think panart have not done a bad work. I will appreciate if you point me out the things in the book you think are a must.

@Uwek Happy to have you on board my friend. After I read your book review I found in ebay and purchased very cheap a used copy, in not a bad.condition. Of course I must mention to you that before I bough the kit - I suppose you remember- I read your kit review and asked you about the rope and blocks quality.

@Jimsky thank you you are always welcome, I believe you know that.

@BigMike thank you for you nice words on Hermione... yes that was a second build of the same ship... so I was more or less prepared for its hard points or the parts I had not succeeded by the first time. Now its a completely new challenge... lets see. You are welcome indeed my friend20200428_075921.jpg

Hi Messis
This one is down to personal opinion,but this scale is the same as most POF builds so I don't think so.Here is a picture of mine,the deck planks are 4.5mm wide boxwood veneer and I use sharpened cocktail sticks glued into 0.5mm holes.The result is very subtle

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_1253 - Copy.JPG

@NMBROOK fine work Nigel! Beautiful. Thank you for your response. I think the deck planking nails its a must... and I believe your also right about the planking of the hull there is little too much I guess.

Christos

Looking very good - a smooth basis for the second planking - Thumbsup

I have seen posts of those who simulate hull treenails by poking a fine point (scribe) into wood and then insert lead pencil tip in hole to color it, not real treenail but shows up in final finish.

Yes Uwek am pleased with that. Am doing double planking for the first time and though am little anxious about my inexperience I believe its easier and thay will permit a better result. Is that so?
The time you are investing in the proper preparation of the first planking of a hull is reducing very much the time you have to invest in the second planking.
And you get better results with the relatively thin strips of the second planking..... this is my experience

There is a mistake!
I have just started the second planking, I am planning to change the dropplanks sequence. In the first planking the first dropplank (direction towards the keel) is longer than the second dropplank. I believe this is wrong, so in the 2nd planking am making the 1st dropplank shorter and am making longer the lower one.

Last edited:
There is a mistake!
I have just started the second planking, I am planning to change the dropplanks sequence. In the first planking the first dropplank (direction towards the keel) is longer than the second dropplank. I believe this is wrong, so in the 2nd planking am making the 1st dropplank shorter and am making longer the lower one.
How is your planking progressing?

Back