ROYAL CAROLINE 1749 M: 1/48 by Jeronimo [COMPLETED BUILD]

Karl, I meant the bolts in the frames, I thought I could make the bolts the same way on my next model,
Rattlesnake that will be on the same scale as yours, 1-48.
Now I'm going to try to add a picture I've made a red ring around a bolt, never tried this before.
Inked2.012_LI.jpg
Greeting-

This detail is not so easy. Boudriot shoes only the positions without any detail about the bolts. The whole book shows how but not with what the parts are fixed together. I cant imagine that there a only a simple bolt in the wood without anything. I searched a lot of time for a documentation for this joint. I have found that there is a bolt with a head (maybe a slice) and the other side has a clinch slice. Seems that this detail are equal from the 17. and 18. century. Maybe only differences in the implementation. There documentation for this detail is very very rare. Finaly it´s a mixture of assumption and resaerch. Boudriot gives a good idea. But in my opinion this detail looks different.

Thanks for the explication, Karl. I did also any test with wax. For my La Belle 1/36 i will use this kind of bolts. The fotos only shows the first tests but in this way i will continue. Its a Occre Nail with half round head. I used a file for the diamond head
But the clinched end on the other side i will show simplified with a diamond head. There are ca. 1200 bolts in my frames. I need to complete my work before i will do my last journey. 59371900_690650011353189_8932744536375951360_o.jpg

Wow! Level of difficulty is crazy, to me. I love what you have worked so far and will be glued to this log. I would never attempt anything at this level but wanted to thank you for the log. Watching builds like this has increased my skills and enthusiasm. My hat tips to you sir. -A great example of why I had to be a member here.

For the record, my greatest appreciation in reading through these logs is the creative work-arounds you guys have, when confronting obstacles. I’ve seen some real genius on this forum!

Kudos to you! And as we say in the American military, “Bravo Zulu” (Well dome!)

Thanks for the explication, Karl. I did also any test with wax. For my La Belle 1/36 i will use this kind of bolts. The fotos only shows the first tests but in this way i will continue. Its a Occre Nail with half round head. I used a file for the diamond head
But the clinched end on the other side i will show simplified with a diamond head. There are ca. 1200 bolts in my frames. I need to complete my work before i will do my last journey. View attachment 105377

I don't remember where I saw it its been a while but one guy bought some either was round head scale rivets or round head brads cant remember then clamped a bunch into his mini mill and made a run down one side then up the other and then back and forth in between to make square bolts with round heads then just glued them in place after blackening

Very good progress my friend - It is looking very good.
Interesting, that you make here without the typical jig (cur out board in the level of waterline), so you have to stabilize every frame with temporary timbers).

WOW
Hallo Karl,
is is "PROGRESS" - we can see, how much progress is possible in only one month (period between today and your update before)
And it is looking very good
Please be so kind to update more often, because we want to see more often your work on the model !!!

This is a very good idea to fix the plank during drying - simple and effective
7.03.JPG

Google Translate.
Hello Carl. I also build Carolina. I’m going to open my topic later. I do not have a complete set of drawings and a little theoretical material, and information from an Internet is controversial. Google translation is often incorrect, so I prepared a drawing with options. Please tell me the cross-sectional shape of the board in the picture? I think this is option B.
Alexander.plan_02b2.jpg

Google Translate.
Hello Carl. I also build Carolina. I’m going to open my topic later. I do not have a complete set of drawings and a little theoretical material, and information from an Internet is controversial. Google translation is often incorrect, so I prepared a drawing with options. Please tell me the cross-sectional shape of the board in the picture? I think this is option B.
Alexander.View attachment 115177

Hello Alexander.

Yes, B is right.
In the appendix three pictures ,
the plan drawings show no more.
Send me your private email adress,
I will send you the complette set of plans as a PDF file.

regards Karl

Please, show us pictures of the construction
of your model her.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

Last edited:
Back