Royal Caroline what wood?

I have done a preliminary unboxing of the Panart Royal Caroline (future build) and am a bit confused about what wood is supplied.
The kit specification refers to lime and walnut. The walnut is clearly identifiable but relatively few srips are included: enough for wales and deck trimming but not for hull planking. The instructions only identify the planking strips by dimension: first stage 1.5x6 mm, second stage 1.0 x 6mm. The thicker strips are clearly lime but what are the second stage planks? They are a slightly darker brown than the first stage planks. Are they a different species of lime? I have bought some Mantua lime sheets in case I need to supplement the supplied strips with some specially shaped bits. This is different again and certainly does not match the second stage strips. The photo below illustrates my confusion. The upper strip is first sage, the lower strip is second stage, the background is the sheet.
lime[1].jpg

Limewood is the same as American Basswood, differences in color are very common Basswood will range from a light cream color to a darker redish tan. So both strips can very well be Limewood

bass1.jpg

Last edited:
Back