Royal Louis 1780 Mamoli kit MV40 code 4006 1:90 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I slowly start the rigging of the Louis.
And I will experiment
I am going to use a method that I have seen used by some
Frank Mastini Method Ship Modeling Book Simplified McGraw-Hill Book Publish 1990
Frank Mastini is an Italian of origin to emigrate to the USA Deceased in 2006
For 30 years he made a career as a naval model maker and built custom ships for several museums and private collectors.
What Mastini recommends is to make most of the rope of the mats on the work table or it is easy to make the connections and this before mounting the mats on the ship. As he says his will make a cable spaghetti but once the mats install it will be easy to make the internal connections.
I saw this method used by some builder but I can not say if it works or not I never try it.
So I start in the unknown and at worst I will have to start again if it does not work.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the instructions of Mamoli I should follow an assembly order that goes from the stern to the bow so mizzen, main mast, foremast and finish with the bowsprit drawing number 6
But I decided to make the main mast first that I already made and the yard
I make sure that its verticality is impeccable 21-1
21-1.JPG
So I start with the 2 most interior cables 21-2 (1)
21-2.JPG
Good according to the kit should use brass wire to make a hook and a rings on the 4 of the pulley that clings to the rings of the chanel 21-3
21-3.JPG
I did one I did not like the result so I made them as I usually do.
Little trick to have black rope 21-4 I simply use a black felt pen
For the ring at the top of the pulley a small nails a knot and hardened with CA glue 21-5
Comparison 21-6
21-4 5 6.JPG
Another trick, this one to facilitate the passage of the cable in the small hole of pulley
I adorn the end of the CA glue string which once hardened becomes rigid 21-7 once beveled easily passes through holes 21-8
21-7.JPG
21-8.JPG
On the main mast but in the part under the bridge I put 2 rings 1 on each side 21-9
Here are the 4 systems are made secure with tape and numbered 21-10, 21-11
21-9 10 11.JPG
Mamoli does not provide black cable for all that structural fitting
A tip for this cheap black cable store that sells craft product for jewelry making 21-12 another trick to find small thin forceps to cut small wire radius cosmetics cut nails
21-12.JPG
All the cables of the stay cables are near numbered 21-13 the cape of sheep of the platform are to pose 21-14 to pose a main cable which goes from the mizzen mat and this connects to the big mast 21-2 (2)
21-13 14.JPG

At this point everything is fine and I will continue this way, as expected its going to become spaghetti but if numbered and I avoid knots its should not be too bad

Yet another Royal Louis, yet another great build! Great work Charles! Also, I would give you a special award First Place Metal for being a very active member since you have started, and put more building logs than any other member (in a short time)! Well done and many, many thanks for sharing with us!

Love this ship ,your doing a great job looks great
Where did you get the ship from as I thought mamoli was no longer around.
Cheers snowy keep up the great work

Love this ship ,your doing a great job looks great
Where did you get the ship from as I thought mamoli was no longer around.
Cheers snowy keep up the great work

Yes Mamoli as a separated company do not exist any more but Dusek did by all the right and drawing and produce most of there kit do not know if they change anything. Here the link
http://www.dusekshipkits.com/
But the Louis seam to not be available in there catalogue for now.
Got the ship in 2013 (so before the fire that destroy Mamoli factory) from https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/

He Tanks a lots Jim
Besides the 2 in progress 6 others not started. In order to be build Syren, Sao Miguel, Yacht Mary, Couronne, Real de France, Seguin
I guess, those will keep you busy for some years and we will have the joy to watch your builds! And... BTW... Happy Birthday!!! Wishing you to have a great time! Birthday-Cake

Mamoli instruction is to use a small copper wire to make the stirrups for the footrope.
Never had success to make them so I look at how Frölich did them in his book The Art of Model Making
1.JPG
3mm diameter tip
2.JPG
A knot seized with CA glue
3.JPG
Remove from the tip and cut off the excess
4.JPG
5.JPG
Here is simple and fast
6.JPG

Prepare the parts of the mizzen mat
24-1.JPG
Remake the chocks that are provided by new wooden one
24-2.JPG
The platforms of combat posed and mast build
24-3.JPG
Installation of stay cables
24-4.JPG
24-6 .jpg
Laying yards
24-5.JPG
24-7.JPG24-7.JPG
The 3 mats posed temporarily are ready to receive the rest of the rope I still have the mast of the bowsprit
24-8.JPG
Clean up the disaster from my work table and set the RL aside again temporarily to start the Syren and Säo Miguel will work on the 3 ships alternately
24-9.JPG
24-10.JPG

Bowsprit
7 Pieces mainly
The construction is simple without major problem
25 - 2.JPG
25 - 3.JPG
25 - 4.JPG

At the place where the mast enters the hull there is an opening which has been corrected with a ring.
25 - 5.JPG
25 - 6.JPG

At this stage the mast are all complete but having already had this situation I revisit the set of all wiring to put all the hooks and accesory that will be needed later and avoided having to do them in the middle of the ropes.
25 - 7.JPG
25 - 8.JPG
25 - 9.JPG
25 - 10.JPG25 - 11.JPG

Here are the mast in place, they are rest 3 sheets 6-7 and 8 to do
6 will be mainly the stay and other wires and mast support cable
25 - 12.JPG
25 - 13.JPG

After finishing construction work at one of my son and a figurine painting contract for a friend I and a diorama 1:35 WWI for myself (I have to please myself also and it was a good change of mind) am back hard at work on the R.L.
For information for that kit rigging, it is a 5 step that Mamoli give.
Step one build the mast and the spar (done)
Step two installing the mast with the initial spar (also done) and some advance rigging
Step tree, four and five are all the rest 3 sheet drawing very clear and well done
Mamoli divide all section wonderfully easy to follow and instruction contrary to build the hull are clear and precise. Each pulley each robe each road the rope have to follow are well explain and with a number. I will give you an example
429 =344+430+431=F13
429 is the main rope on the part number they tell you that it is a 0.4 rope
344 is the Mizzen mast and you start at the top
430 is the pulley at the main mast (5mm one hole) and the emplacement is clearly show
431 is the pulley where the rope is attach (4mm 2 hole)
F13 is a small drawing showing how to do it
They are a bit more but that give you a small look at how Mamoli did try to keep it clear and relatively easy to do
So now I am on drawing 6 step 3 where all the shroud will be done, long and boring.

Mamoli give explication mast by mast and very linear as aproche.
My work will be devise as follow
Drawing 6 mizzen mast, main mast, foremast and bowsprit so 4 step per drawing(7 and 8) = 12 steps to complete the model
Here drawing 6 step 1 mizzen mast

1.JPG

Well a long time without any posting as I was real busy and almost no time for modelling
Ok the shroud are complete Drawing 6 is finish
27 1.JPG
27 2.JPG
27 3.JPG

Now big bone with Mamoli as they do not supply any black rope in fact some of the rope supply to be used are gold.
Not a problem for me as I will do as the follow a method teach to me by Hubert Sicard
I use a black felt marker on a small block of wood passing a few time and let it dry a few hour and at the end got a black slightly stiff cable that is perfect
27-4.JPG

Here drawing 6 complete
27-5.JPG
27-6.JPG
2 more drawing to complete

Back