Royal William Euromodel 1:72 by Denis R

This starts my Build Log of the Euromodel Royal William and the details of the box are below:

H.M.S. ROYAL WILLIAM
18th Century 1st Rate English Ship
Brief History:

Launched in 1719 at Portmouth. In 1782 Royal William took part in the navy operations which led to Gibraltar’s liberation. Also in that same year, the ship was involved in the salvage attempt of Royal George, which overturned in Spithead causing the death of 900 persons. In the end it was assigned as anchor-watch at Portsmouth, until 1813 , then demolished. Its survival for almost a century compares strongly with the typical six-year life span of so many other ships.
Length: 68.58 m.
Width: 12.80 m.
Crew: 730
Draft: 6.10 m.
Displacement: 1600 tons
Armament :
First battery: 34 guns of 32 inches
Second battery: 28 guns of 24 inches
Third battery: 18 guns of 8 inches

Overall Kit Specifications:
BUILDING PLANS REF 66/006
CONSTRUCTION KITS REF 99/006
MAXIMUM LENGTH 1140 mm.
HULL LENGTH 910 mm.
MAXIMUM WIDTH 510 mm.
HULL WIDTH 160 mm.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT 950 mm.
GUNS 104
SCALE 1:72

The Box Contents are as follows:

royal-william-box-01.jpg

royal-william-box-02.jpg

royal-william-box-03.jpg

royal-william-box-04.jpg

royal-william-box-05.jpg

royal-william-box-06.jpg

royal-william-box-07.jpg

royal-william-box-08.jpg

royal-william-box-09.jpg

royal-william-box-10.jpg

royal-william-box-11.jpg

Last edited:
This kit was for me a dream, years ago when I was young and had no money - You have to know, that in Germany Euromodel was sold via company Steingraeber as the only distrubutor in the country......and these kits were so expensive at this time. Later on I bought the frigate Ajax from Euromodel on ebay, much cheaper than the Royal William.

Please take a look also at the topic "Naval History" dated yesterday, with the history of the HMS Royal Prince and after her rebuilt HMS Royal William with a lot of contemporary drawings and beautiful models built in 1720 from the National Maritime Museum:

https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...ime-events-in-history.2104/page-67#post-46833
and
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...ime-events-in-history.2104/page-67#post-46834

Definitely I will follow your building log with big interest Thumbsup

This kit was for me a dream, years ago when I was young and had no money - You have to know, that in Germany Euromodel was sold via company Steingraeber as the only distrubutor in the country......and these kits were so expensive at this time. Later on I bought the frigate Ajax from Euromodel on ebay, much cheaper than the Royal William.

Please take a look also at the topic "Naval History" dated yesterday, with the history of the HMS Royal Prince and after her rebuilt HMS Royal William with a lot of contemporary drawings and beautiful models built in 1720 from the National Maritime Museum:

https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...ime-events-in-history.2104/page-67#post-46833
and
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...ime-events-in-history.2104/page-67#post-46834

Definitely I will follow your building log with big interest Thumbsup
Those are great links and super info on both the Prince and the Royal William.
Thanks,
Vince P. Ship-1

Hi all

The frames and spacers are glued in place and lower deck ready to be fitted.

With the lower deck that comes in two parts, Port and Starboard, they both have to be cut about a 1/3 away along from the stern.

After a dry run to see if they fitted correctly, I then glued the two stern parts first.
After the glue was dry it was time to fit the other two parts one at a time, they have to thread them through the some of the stern frames and then slide them to the bow area gluing one at a time.

RW PARTS 4_0051.jpgRW PARTS 4_0052.jpgRW PARTS 4_0053.jpgRW PARTS 4_0054.jpgRW PARTS 4_0056.jpg

Denis.

Hi
I have to say I started this build some time ago but with moving house then waiting for an operation for over 15 months this build was put on hold.

Anyway starting to cut the cannon ports out.
Dummy cannon blocks cut and painted.

Sorry I am not the sort of person that goes into detail.

RW PARTS 8_0008.jpgRW PARTS 8_0010.jpg

Denis.

Hi

I made a template for some dummy cannon blocks.
You have to measure how far you wish the cannon to protrude from the hull.
What I did was place a dummy cannon block on the deck and to the side of the cannon port then put the cannon through the port.
Adjust the block in or out this will move the cannon in or out to the distance you wish it to be put a mark at the back of the block.
I then made a template with a cut out the same size as the block, you also need a centre line on the template and the bottom of the cannon port opening.
Now line the centre line on the template and cannon port, you then put a mark at the back of the cut out.
Now you can glue the block on the deck.

You can see why I don't go into detail ha ha.

RW PARTS 9_0004.jpgRW PARTS 9_0007.jpgDUMMY CANNON BLOCKS.jpg

Hi Mr Deep

Sorry I made a mistake about the PE above.
The kit ones are too chunky for the cannon lids.
I got the ones above from Cornwall Model Boats. https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/
They are for the HMS Vanguard.
Brian 077 on this forum told me about them.

Denis

Back