Royal William Euromodel 1:72 by Vince P. -- FINISHED

I am working on the anchor rigging. I added a feature that is often missing and is not included on the plans. When an anchor is suspended on the block and hook from the cathead, there would be nothing to prevent it from slipping off the hook and dropping into the water. A safety feature was used called a "Cathead Blocker". It consisted of a half cleat and sheave assembly mounted on the aft side of the cathead. I made the half cleat from 2x3mm walnut and the sheave from a 3mm deadeye. A heavy rope was passed through the cathead and secured with a knot and then fished through the anchor ring and back up through the sheave and tied off to a cleat on the rail. If the anchor became dislodged, this rope would hold it up.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0664.JPGpict0666.JPG

She is finally finished! :p The most difficult and challenging project I have ever attempted. I think she turned out great, even with the many mistakes I made along the way. Some I corrected and others I couldn't. If you look really close you may see some. Almost 5 years in the making and so much fun. I know I improved my skills level immensely because of the difficulty involved. Euromodel definitely produces a quality kit. With the way they set it up, the builder can take the level of detail as far as they like. I believe I could attempt a scratch build now if I desired to do so.
The cost to complete this model including the price of the kit was well over $4000, and that does not include any labor.

I have to give credit to Peter Coward, Keith Julier, Mark T. and the many authors of the numerous text books I used for references along the way.

I will take many detailed photos and post them in the gallery soon.

As soon as I clean up and update my workshop I will start on my next project . It will be the Prince which was the original ship that was rebuilt into the Royal William. It also looks to be a big challenge as well.

Vince P. Ship-1

IMG_0109f.JPGIMG_0110f.JPGIMG_0111f.JPGIMG_0112f.JPGIMG_0113.JPG

Congrats on your accomplishment, Vince! Time well worth spending on her construction. She looks gorgeous!

Back