Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston [COMPLETED BUILD]

Intro​

This is my first boat build. I chose this model from Vanguard Models because the boat itself is well designed and full of detail and the instruction manual is well organized and includes nice step by step pictures. Plus I went through a few builds of the same boat in this forum, and it seemed like a fun project! This project is a present for my dad, and this build thread mostly to show the process behind the boat. So apologies if my terminology is wrong or off. Feel free to comment and correct.

Hull​

The first step was to build the spline and the lower decks.

View attachment 310329
Here are some shots of the fared hull, where the spine is contoured to the shape of the hull.
View attachment 310330View attachment 310331View attachment 310333
Here I've started the first layer of planks. The pins here turned out should have been temporary. I ended up having to remove each one. Next time I'll use a plank pin or some other mechanism for holding the plank down while the glue dries that's easier to remove.

View attachment 310339View attachment 310342

Now to place the outer layer on the hull. Here is the outer side pattern is glued to the hull

View attachment 310349
And the outer planks. These were attached with fast acting high viscosity super glue.
View attachment 310350
View attachment 310352
After sanding and filling
View attachment 310354
Gluing the inner bulwark pattern. Lots of clamps
View attachment 310359

View attachment 310332

View attachment 310334

View attachment 310335

View attachment 310340
Hallo @Golgobot
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Intro​

This is my first boat build. I chose this model from Vanguard Models because the boat itself is well designed and full of detail and the instruction manual is well organized and includes nice step by step pictures. Plus I went through a few builds of the same boat in this forum, and it seemed like a fun project! This project is a present for my dad, and this build thread mostly to show the process behind the boat. So apologies if my terminology is wrong or off. Feel free to comment and correct.

Hull​

The first step was to build the spline and the lower decks.

View attachment 310329
Here are some shots of the fared hull, where the spine is contoured to the shape of the hull.
View attachment 310330View attachment 310331View attachment 310333
Here I've started the first layer of planks. The pins here turned out should have been temporary. I ended up having to remove each one. Next time I'll use a plank pin or some other mechanism for holding the plank down while the glue dries that's easier to remove.

View attachment 310339View attachment 310342

Now to place the outer layer on the hull. Here is the outer side pattern is glued to the hull

View attachment 310349
And the outer planks. These were attached with fast acting high viscosity super glue.
View attachment 310350
View attachment 310352
After sanding and filling
View attachment 310354
Gluing the inner bulwark pattern. Lots of clamps
View attachment 310359

View attachment 310332

View attachment 310334

View attachment 310335

View attachment 310340
Hallo @Golgobot
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

The build presentation was very well done. As a whole the model looks wonderful, but as a rigger you excel. Many first time builders give up and run for the hills when they reach that point of the project.

Back