Rudder Head Covering (Brook)

Hi to all,

I have a question relating to the rudder Assy. of the Endeavour.
Marquardt's book of the Endeavour, pages 66 and 67 (I'm not sure I can attach copies of the pics therein due to possible copyright infringements) are shown coverings for the rudder head where the head exits the afterdeck and where the rudder enters the hull below.
I would like to incorporate thse features into my build.
Does anyone have any information on these items, i.e, which material to use and how to make them.
Further, what are their correct denominations?

Any help on the subject greatly appreciated.

Usually these protection covers were made out of leather or cloth

In addition I can check what is written in some other publications

Last edited:
Hi to all,

I have a question relating to the rudder Assy. of the Endeavour.
Marquardt's book of the Endeavour, pages 66 and 67 (I'm not sure I can attach copies of the pics therein due to possible copyright infringements) are shown coverings for the rudder head where the head exits the afterdeck and where the rudder enters the hull below.
I would like to incorporate thse features into my build.
Does anyone have any information on these items, i.e, which material to use and how to make them.
Further, what are their correct denominations?

Any help on the subject greatly appreciated.
You may attache one cropped image and mention the source of the image

Quick answer from memory...

The opening is called: the helm-port.
The opening was closed by a cover made out of several layers of canvas nailed around the port (from the outside) and then painted or tarred for waterproofing: often referred to as the rudder-coat, which prevented water from entering.

G.

If I can't find leather thin enough for the task, I may then go for dyed linen, and after forming I will rub the covers with bees wax for added stiffness.

I personally would not use leather, it will be too stiff. Instead, I would use a piece of fabric: like you said, linen. You could use diluted water based varnish to stiffen it after it has been dyed in your favorite tar like colour.

Please remember that the rudder-coat should not be install too tight and should not be too stiff.
It is nailed to the planking around the helm-port as well as to the top of the rudder itself so it needs to be somewhat loose and pliable to follow the movement of the rudder.

G.

Back