Säo Miguel XVI Century Armed Portugese Merchantman Kit Mamoli MV 21

Säo Miguel XVI Century Armed Portugese Merchantman Kit Mamoli MV 21
Scale 1:54
Length 843mm
Height 630mm
2 full 1:1 drawing
13 sheets of drawing and instruction

Three-masted caraque Length of the ship 35m Height 30m. The period engravings and the historical documents of the naval museum of Barcelona have allowed the reconstruction of the plans of a ship which is placed for the lines between the medieval merchant ship and the galleon, classifiable for the particular structure of the forecastle of front and rear among the carracks. A ship of this type probably participated in Cortez's expedition to conquer Mexico. The external galleries one of which with balcony. The apartments under the aft deck and deck superstructures that provide for the installation of tent to protect from the sun are obvious signs of their use for high-ranking passenger transportation

Ok I am in the deep s*****t (trouble)
Let me explain
My Minister of the Interior has chosen Säo Miguel de Mamoli as his personal ship that I must do for her.
I buy the kit in 2013 and we are in 2019 not done and not started
And I announce the construction of Syren say that it does not go too well and I have an ultimatum she wants her boat

Ok compromise I'll have to do the 2 in parallel
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.JPG

This has certainly brightened my day finding someone constructing the same ship. I'm not far into mine but am loving the challenge as most of the pieces are pre cut very roughly and some require recutting or a lot of attention. Good luck as u move ahead, I think I'll pull up a chair and follow your progress.
I'll add a picture of where I'm up to.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

IMG_0436.JPGIMG_0442.JPG

This has certainly brightened my day finding someone constructing the same ship. I'm not far into mine but am loving the challenge as most of the pieces are pre cut very roughly and some require recutting or a lot of attention. Good luck as u move ahead, I think I'll pull up a chair and follow your progress.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

Hello @Kikatinalong ,maybe you can start your own build log

Cheers
@Kikatinalong Guess what... if you don't mind and start your own build log, I would pull a chair and watch both. What do you think? It is great way to learn from building logs!

First stage
Classify wood by species, size and color
a.JPG
This kit has as parts
Poplar plywood
Walnut plywood
Mahogany plywood
Linden laths
Walnut laths
Mahogany laths
Tanganyka laths
laths blue, green, black
Maple laths
Paduca laths (red)
Boxwood laths
Beech laths
Ramin rods
Hemp rope
And a buntch of metal casting parts
Built the form
Install the firs deck and the filling at the bow and the stern and put the first deck
b.JPG
c.JPG

d.JPG
e.JPG

And Yes Kikatinalong plese open a log it will be fun
Doing something simila with Roben (Novastorm) on the Syren

Thanks for ur suggestions of a build log guys. I'm very new to ship modelling, started this year with a terrible plastic piece of junk which made me realise wood was what I was really interested in, I'm doing a tiny Bon Retour which I really have lost interest in due to size and horrible fuzzy photos for instructions. Then I found the carrack and decided to try my luck. Having been a boilermaker my whole life I never needed or wanted a computer and its only aged 53 I find myself using an iPad to help with modelling. So I ended up finding model ship world which I've stuck with and have a build log titled Caracca Atlantica by Kikatinalong.
I have no idea of the etiquette between the two sites but sometime in the next week I can certainly start a log on here. I have no idea of how many people are members of both sites.
And Charles QC your bulkheads and deck look well cut, the pieces I received look like they were cut by a blind monkey busy eating a banana, having said that it looks like your off to a great start.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

The only bad part that I have find so far is the part nb 12 and 15 at the stern that will need some correction when I put the deck. Wee will see as the build go, it is my third Mamoli kits and the other 2 got issue at some point so……… will see:rolleyes:

The only bad part that I have find so far is the part nb 12 and 15 at the stern that will need some correction when I put the deck. Wee will see as the build go, it is my third Mamoli kits and the other 2 got issue at some point so……… will see:rolleyes:
Charles it might be helpful at this early stage to try and dry fit the for deck ( part 72 ) , I was just fiddling around today waiting for glue to dry and tried it out. Either bulkhead four is short at the top where it takes the beam bearing the load of the fore deck, or the deck must have a way greater slant than any drawings show.
Or it may be that being a novice to this modelling caper I could just be wrong. Hopefully this helps and I'm not wasting 1/2 hour of ur time.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

IMG_0448.JPGIMG_0449.JPG

This stage will be mainly the main deck and the stern and some work that must be done at this stage
And yes some of the frame must have be cut by a monkey busy eating a banana
At the stern the frame are bawdily cut
3 a.JPG
3 b.JPG

Some beam at the bow
3 c.JPG

Planking on the main deck are suppose to stop there
3 d.JPG

but I decide to do all the way to the bow except where the frame will be cut
3 e.JPG
3 f.JPG

I paint the frame that will be under some deck black
3 g.JPG
3 h.JPG
3 i.JPG

Frame are not adjust well and need some chiming
3 j.JPG
3 k.JPG
3 l.JPG
3 n.JPG
3 o.JPG
And at this point I sand a the complete hull to the proper form

There are 6 gun that after I made the gun framing I put in place except that the gun barel will be insert in position when the hull is complete
3 p.JPG

Stage 3 finish
3 q.JPG
3 r.JPG

Attachments

• 3 m.JPG
    3 m.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 4
Nice work Charles, your ship is really starting to move in the right direction, I'm going to enjoy watching its progress especially at the stern where I intend to alter mine drastically. The cannon frames look great in red, and your deck planking looks great.
All the best with your progress.

Peter

Nope working on the Royal Louis for the moment 2 more step to do :)
And in a break on ship building 4 small projects in between a (War hammer regiment HE 20 figurines done)(A Mercedes WWII German truck done)(A WW1 British bust 50% complete) and finally (A German WWII plane start some 20Y ago never complete also 50% done) then will be back on the S-M and also will work on the Syren also start both ship are almost at the same level.:p

Back