S.O.S. Conference / Assembly

Donnie

S.O.S. Conference / Assembly

Dear Friends and Modelers. I have been thinking for some time about putting faces with names. Of course in order to do this, there has to be some type of Conference / Assembly in order.

Therefore, I want to officially start a discussion about having and planning such an event. I think it is doable. I think it would garner a lot of interest. I think we should do this.

There are a lot of things to consider and think about. One main and foremost element is when. I personally think that this first meeting should be planned to occur Summer 2014. This would give ample time for everyone to plan and develop their own personal strategy in attending. It would also allow time for those that live internationally a chance to prepare and plan.

If I see that the interest is growing, then I will transfer this topic and create a special forum header for this one thing. It will be from this that all important info will be shared and discussed.

So, I know it may seem like a far fetched idea. But, lets try it !

Donnie

p.s.
Some ideas:
1) Make the meeting for 2 days (could take in a weekend)
2) Have door prizes
3) give away a nice wooden model ship (think about buying tickets to enter your chance)
4) Have someone to discuss ships from a historical point, modeling practices, and techniques.
5) Needs to be centrally located (or should be)
6) Meeting could be held near a museum.

GaryM

Summer? Your humidity is high then. Maybe late May would be fine. Being a burn survivor, I don't fly so the cost of taking a train there and back is expensive and would take 3 days each way. Have to think about it. By the way, there is 3 good ship model museums in California; San Francisco, San Pedro and Ventura.

Donnie

I welcome all suggestions. May is fine too. What type of museums are in California? I figured that there would be some. Just like on the east coast.

My choice would be Boston, with the Constition, but Gary is right the museum in San Francisco is great but I would opt for Fall or Spring here. The Summers in San Francisco are a bear.

Donnie

Thanks Kent for your input - unless this thread gets taken by a lot of interest, well, it might not materialize. To me, it does not have to be a lot of folks. I think that if just a handful (5 or 6) get together, that would be great.

Only challenge for me would be cost since I would want to bring the Family along. With a quality museum and other activities, would try to make it to any location within reason (saving up over a year long period would help as well!).

Haldun

I am surprised this thread did not pick up the attention it deserves. Personally, ever since I re-fueled the passion a few weeks ago, I have been looking for a wooden model ship seminar/fair/conference.

I believe both San Francisco and Boston are strong candidates. I am wondering if we invite product and model vendors to set up booths it may even sponsor itself for the members. I believe the prize drawings are always a good idea.

I am on the East Coast too and willing to help with the organization.

Best regards,
Hal Tihan

catopower

Brian, Wales sounds really wonderful. Wish I could go there and visit, or stay!

Hal, there's certainly more ship modeling activity on the East Coast than on the West. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and there are a number of ship modelers out this way, but not enough to create a big event. Or rather, not active enough to want to be involved. Occasionally, one of the clubs in the area will show their models somewhere, but that's about it. It takes a lot of work and you need to have enough support from the ship modeling community. Our merry band of active members is a bit small for that.

Get togethers are not impossible though. A small group of us online here are close enough to each other to have managed our first local meet-up in the Bay Area last October and are planning on doing it again first Saturday in February. Not much, but it's a start!

Clare

Haldun

Brian,

I had visited Wales (Cardiff) long years ago when I was an exchange student in UK. I also remember seeing the only clear waters in Wales from the shores in UK... I also remember Tom Jones... I wish I have a chance to go back.

Clare,

I am new to the forum and to the model ship building community, so thanks for informing me on the activities. I visit SF Bay area frequently as my brother lives there. Probably not this February but I would love to come out for the next meeting of the group.

Best regards,
Hal

catopower

Hi Brian,

Let me know the next time you're going to be in the area. Maybe we'll plan a meeting around your visit!

Also, there are a few regular ship model clubs in the area you might want to visit, and a couple nice ship model collections, etc.

Does your brother live in the city itself, or one of the nearby communities?

Clare

catopower

Doh!!!

Sorry to both of you. I guess I'm easily confused :sad:

Yes, that was meant for Hal. Still, Brian, if you ever DO end up in the Bay Area, let me know :D

Clare

Haldun

Clare

No worries... : :D Yes, my brother lives in the City, I am planning to visit him sometime in April. I will definitely let you know and would like to meet up with the forum members.

In the meantime, I looked up some model ship fairs/clubs in the NJ area and found a few. Also there are a few advertisement for museums which I will need to check out. I think I realize now what you meant by more activity on the East Coast Clare...

Best regards,
Hal

catopower

Hi Haldun,

Well, if you're going to be in the city, then you'll also have to stop by the ship model group I belong to which meets aboard the ferry boat Eureka in the Maritime National Park at the end of Fisherman's Wharf. The meetings are once a month, but there's usually someone working in the model shop on Saturday mornings.

Oh, New Jersey! You'll have to check out the Ship Model Society of New Jersey then. There are some very accomplished ship modelers in that group. I can tell you that you're in a really good location for getting started into ship modeling.

Clare

lauckstreet

I know this is an old post, but many years ago my wife and I met with a bunch of our customers at the Navy base in Annapolis, MD and visited the museum there where there were lots of great model ships. Later we did some shopping downtown and had lunch together at a good seafood restaurant. We called ourselves the Yellow Shirt Gang because I had everybody wear a yellow shirt so we could recognize who was in our party. It was a fun day and very successful. I know we had over a dozen attend and many traveled a long way to be there.

Years later we hosted a get together at our house, I did some demos in the shop, and we had food for everyone. It was again a very successful get together, dozens attended and one gentleman came all the way from Germany to be there. He flew into NY and met up with his daughter and they drove down to Virginia from NY.

I think this is a great idea to do periodically. I know Greg Herbert and David Antscherl hold special workshops every year and always have a great turnout. I've attended one of these once also when they were giving a class on the Swan Class ships. I had developed a kit of the HMS Kingfisher using David's excellent drawings and brought the kit to show the class. It was my most popular kit because it was in all boxwood and completely historically correct in detail and dimensions.

If you ever decide to do one of these again and it's on the east coast, I'll certainly try to attend.

Bob

dbdriskell

Staff member
Administrative

Thanks for posting this Bob. Please remind me at some point and we can shoot for this. I just visited that place and took a bunch of pics (I was with the Admiral /Wife) while visiting her familiy. I would love to go again at some point.

GaryM

We have had a group of modelers here and we have been meeting every three months for years. We usually meet in Vallejo, but in October we meet at my house. We usually have about eight modelers that show up but there is about 16 in the group. Various things happen and thus the attendees vary throughout the year. Clare, Kent and myself make every meeting. There is another club that meets monthly in the bay area that Clare goes to and has more members but the meetings are about same. There is another club that meets in the Los Angeles area usually about 4 times a year. One of their members is the author Don Dressel. Clare is in contact with them and shares their meeting mnotes with us.

lauckstreet

GaryM post_id=22266 time=1504980722 user_id=199 said:
We have had a group of modelers here and we have been meeting every three months for years. We usually meet in Vallejo, but in October we meet at my house. We usually have about eight modelers that show up but there is about 16 in the group. Various things happen and thus the attendees vary throughout the year. Clare, Kent and myself make every meeting. There is another club that meets monthly in the bay area that Clare goes to and has more members but the meetings are about same. There is another club that meets in the Los Angeles area usually about 4 times a year. One of their members is the author Don Dressel. Clare is in contact with them and shares their meeting mnotes with us.
Hi Gary,

Sounds like a neat group. Here in "redneck" WV, there aren't many model shipbuilders. Last year I didn't sell a single practicum to someone living in WV :!: The nice thing is we're about 2 hours from the Annapolis Navy Museum, or the Navy Museum in Washington DC and 3 hours from the Mariner's museum in Newport News, VA. It's been a while since I've visited either one so maybe in the near future we can get a group to meet at one of these places.

Bob

Experten

GaryM post_id=22266 time=1504980722 user_id=199 said:

I'm in Reno. You aren't that far from me. If you wouldn't mind a rather inexperienced ship modeler stopping in, I'd love to get some inspiration. (And show off a couple of kits)

GaryM

Hi Experten:
The people that usually come from this area have a conflict as a meeting is being done on the Hornet that day, so the October meeting was moved back to Vallejo. If you would like to go, you could meet up with me and ride with me to the meeting. I would be leaving my house, which is about 1 mile from Highway 80, at about 7:15.
When I go to Vallejo, we eat breakfast at a cafe we all like in Vallejo at about 8:45. The meeting starts at 10 and we usually stay until about 12:30 or 1. Thus., I do not get back home until 2:30 or 3 depending on traffic. That would make a long day for you. We might try to reschedule at my house when there is not a conflict. This would be the second Saturday in either the January meeting or the one in April.