Sailing the Columbia from my chair...

Re Ships of Scale: Good to see so many accomplished model builders artfully engaged now that sailing our dear old Hans Christian 38 is a memory. Yes, a full keel SV is too much for the NW's Columbia River without a cap full of wind. Much better out on blue water. I'm working on a private, historical fiction of the Napoleonic British Royal Navy. Having rebuilt an ocean crossing capable sailing vessel, I pay attention to hulls, spars, rigging, sails, and vessel handling. I very much distinguish between Ships of the Age of Sail and other vessels. I'm looking forward to learning from SoS crafters who are deploying what is in Budriot's works, Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor, Lee's Masting and Rigging, etc.
I sense that what it true of ocean capable vessels applies to models, or does it? A. there are no straight lines. B. Houses are built to a tolerance of the nearest 1/4 inch. Cabinets to the nearest 1/8 inch. Fine furniture to the nearest 1/64th, and a "boat" to the nearest "boat". What say ye?
WmRussell

Re Ships of Scale: Good to see so many accomplished model builders artfully engaged now that sailing our dear old Hans Christian 38 is a memory. Yes, a full keel SV is too much for the NW's Columbia River without a cap full of wind. Much better out on blue water. I'm working on a private, historical fiction of the Napoleonic British Royal Navy. Having rebuilt an ocean crossing capable sailing vessel, I pay attention to hulls, spars, rigging, sails, and vessel handling. I very much distinguish between Ships of the Age of Sail and other vessels. I'm looking forward to learning from SoS crafters who are deploying what is in Budriot's works, Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor, Lee's Masting and Rigging, etc.
I sense that what it true of ocean capable vessels applies to models, or does it? A. there are no straight lines. B. Houses are built to a tolerance of the nearest 1/4 inch. Cabinets to the nearest 1/8 inch. Fine furniture to the nearest 1/64th, and a "boat" to the nearest "boat". What say ye?
WmRussell
Tolerances in builds are all in the hands and mind of the SoS or other modeler. For some, and particularly "scratch builders" I sense that measured increments are not easily defined but a visual critique with macro lenses zoomed in show what is attainable by some using both equipment and hand skills. . . lots of sanding and filing. Welcome aboard and keep a weather eye on the "What's New" and specific Forums. Using Search may lead to ports not known and strike up exchanges that are a major benefit of crewing. Have fun and enjoy the journey's time spent. PT-2 (Rich)

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Back