Saint Albans 1687 in Navy Board Style - 1 : 48 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

At Saint Albans I want to carve most of the figures. The gutportwreaths are an exception. It really makes no sense here - except perhaps for ideal reasons. Therefore I carved two large and two small wreaths. Then I made a silicone mold and then I cast the wreaths in resin.

DSCN2201.JPG

Here are pictures of the model with the adjusted wreaths. I also attached the 1800 treenails to the outer hull.

DSCN2198.JPG

DSCN2199.JPG

DSCN2200.JPG

However, the wreaths can only be attached when the gunport lids are attached. This I will do later. Of course, the wreaths will be goldened also.

At the same time, I'm going to carve the figurehead. I have already wasted one half. Therefore, a new blank is already at the start as you can see at the left side of the picture.

DSCN2197.JPG

Regards, Alexander

Last edited:
Hi Alexander

My opinion is, your model is of a superb quality and with those port wreaths you take it down.
Besides the two port wreaths by the channel of the quarterdeck are a little to high in position.
I would correct this.

Best regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)St Albans Foxtrott.jpgSt.Albans Port wreaths.jpg

Hi Alexander

You are right,- but i´m thinking if you would set the two rings a little bit deeper, the model look better.
But it can also be, that if you carve the wreaths outside a little bit rounder and more in details, the different in the position
is not so clear to see.
You are a perfect model builder and I know from my self, that small errors you don´t correct, the would spoil you by every view
in later time and make you dissatisfied.

Cheers
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Yes thank you very much, Willi.

Here is a picture of the original model, which shows that I have to change this.

DSCN0860.JPGBut as I said, I have to postpone that, because first I have to assemble the gunport lids. And that will drag on a bit.

Cheers, Alexander

Last edited:
Hi Alexander,

Amazing work. Keep steady, as She goes!
I agree with Willi - Carving need time and a lot of care.
But, if you need assistance - I can try to design 3D decorations with figurehead and to print on 3D printer or to make on a CNC milling machine.
31.jpg

Cheers,
Kris

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, Willi! The expressions of these examples are out of reach for me. But I will try my best.

I improved my lion a little further and repainted it. The comparison with Herbert Reads plan drawings still show differences. But I'll leave it that way for now.

The elongated nose on my carving shows that I had great problems matching the side and front views of Herbert Read.
f1446t7197p183605n15_AeRdGbiF.jpg

f1446t7197p183605n16_himAdabg.jpg

Cheers Alexander

Thanks for your help, Willi! The expressions of these examples are out of reach for me. But I will try my best.

I improved my lion a little further and repainted it. The comparison with Herbert Reads plan drawings still show differences. But I'll leave it that way for now.

The elongated nose on my carving shows that I had great problems matching the side and front views of Herbert Read.
View attachment 165300

View attachment 165301

Cheers Alexander
A very beautiful work which brought you to a most impressive result.
Well doneMakes you want to build this ship

Hi Alexander

The lion is great and fits to the drawing of Read. I hope you do the same by gun port wreaths. Start on the deepest place and get no fear to take
to much material down. You will see the look much better than the first one.

Regards Willi

View attachment 165300

View attachment 165301

Cheers Alexander

Good work!!! Mean while ......

C4767D3F-E544-440B-B30E-85CEE797B98C.jpeg
26EF39DA-6687-422E-9F6A-BCA57976A4A8.jpeg
D018F82F-C590-434A-9032-24BADA45A6E3.jpeg

I am working on mine.....:)

In the meantime the deck beams and the shearstrakes for the gundeck have been adjusted.

DSCN2234.JPG

The riding bits have their abutment on the keelson and split upwards in a fork shape.

DSCN2237.JPG

The bearing for the capstan has already been installed in the rear area. This is also fastende to the keelson and has two supports. I would have expected four supports there, but the original model only shows these two supports.

The masts and their feet were prepared. The mast stumps are made of pine wood. I need them to position the mast fishing correctly.

DSCN2238.JPG

In the meantime I have also received the photo-etched hinges for the gun ports and doors.

Greetings, Alexander

Back