San Francisco AL build log

Hi guys! So I decided to start this build log of the San Francisco from Artesania Latina (the old version not the new one). This is my first build ever, so any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Anyways I started this build exactly one month ago and started watching threads here in SOS and decided to try this build log.

20220619_203807.jpg20220622_002619.jpg20220626_025847.jpg20220711_193351.jpg20220713_025007.jpg20220713_025013.jpg20220713_025017.jpg20220717_015516.jpg20220718_155724.jpg20220718_155736.jpg20220718_155743.jpg

Anyways this is my progress so far.

Hello Miguel - thank you very much for sharing your build with us. I like everything you have shown so fat - very good work on the decks and the bending of the bulwarks and galleon. Keep the updates coming! Thumbsup

Hello Miguel - thank you very much for sharing your build with us. I like everything you have shown so fat - very good work on the decks and the bending of the bulwarks and galleon. Keep the updates coming! Thumbsup
Nice clean work! I'll pull up a chair and watch the progress.
Thank you both for your kind words. I'll sure try to keep the updates coming regularly.

Very nice !!! If you want suggestions, on your next build do the deck planking with smaller planks. To show the end/start of the following and you can add too some simulated nails. Like on the below picture.

On particular, on this picture, I was lazy to cut shorter planks, so I did the division with a 0.5 mm tip ink pen (or smaller, I can't remember now). Then you can do the "nails" with a very thin drill. First do all in a scrap piece of plank and if you feel comfortable with the scale, then go to the model.

Screenshot_20220719-100502_Gallery.jpg

You will find at SOS many tips on how to do the deck planking.

Enjoy the building.... that is the most important aspect and move on details when you feel comfortable you can do them. That's my philosophy.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Moreover, in a model like yours, you can use your bulkheads division to mark the deck lines. In my model I used the below deck beams. My beams can be seen from the side, the hull is open. In models like yours, the use of correct scale measurements for the planks sizes will probablybe the best. Because in your model the hull will be fully planked.

Think on all that for your next build. So far your built looks very well done... Congrats !!

Cheers
Daniel

If you use an ink pen for the lines, Remember ink can travel by capilarity on the wood. The lines will looks horrible. The deck was previously treated with Shellac or whatever you want to use. Woods pores were covered, then you do not have ink capilarity.

Many use a pencil.

Cheers!!

Very nice !!! If you want suggestions, on your next build do the deck planking with smaller planks. To show the end/start of the following and you can add too some simulated nails. Like on the below picture.

On particular, on this picture, I was lazy to cut shorter planks, so I did the division with a 0.5 mm tip ink pen (or smaller, I can't remember now). Then you can do the "nails" with a very thin drill. First do all in a scrap piece of plank and if you feel comfortable with the scale, then go to the model.

View attachment 319229

You will find at SOS many tips on how to do the deck planking.

Enjoy the building.... that is the most important aspect and move on details when you feel comfortable you can do them. That's my philosophy.

Cheers
Daniel

Hey Dan! Thank you for all the tips! Yes, I will definitely do my next kit with some smaller planks so that there will be all that detail that is indeed missing in mine. I just started this kit that I had in my room for like 20 years with no experience at all but so much enthusiasm that I didn't even think about cutting the planks to a smaller size and it was in fact after I did the deck planking that I found the SOS forum and got the idea to do that. Also I'll try using both the ink and pencil on some scrap planks as you suggested so I dont mess up anything important.

Hello there! So here's the first update on my log. I closed the stern part. I think it turned out nice. Especially since I had to make some adjustments to the shape as the pre cut pieces didn't really match the the space available (too large).

I also started to do the first planking. I think I might have made a bit of an error (after seeing many photos of other models here in sos) fixing the bottom planks like that but I didn't really know how to as the instructions were quite insufficient. Hopefully that won't be a problem. If anyone has some suggestions regarding how to continue planking I'll really appreciate it.

P.S. I'm sorry if I misuse or even completely miss the proper ship/shipbuilding words as I'm not yet familiar with them. 20220720_232756.jpg20220720_232525.jpg20220720_232519.jpg20220720_232514.jpg20220720_232501.jpg20220720_223328.jpg20220720_223328.jpg

Well, I'm no expert but that looks odd to me. If I understand the pictures from the instruction manual is the keel to be added ON TOP of the first layer of planking? On my build the keel was added directly to the bulkheads (the frames) and the hull planking (both layers) ran against (up to) that keel...

Also, are you planning on pulling out those brass pins (nails) or sanding them down? If you intend to pull them I'd avoid hammering them in so deeply...

You're decking looks marvelous!

Well, I'm no expert but that looks odd to me. If I understand the pictures from the instruction manual is the keel to be added ON TOP of the first layer of planking? On my build the keel was added directly to the bulkheads (the frames) and the hull planking (both layers) ran against (up to) that keel...

Also, are you planning on pulling out those brass pins (nails) or sanding them down? If you intend to pull them I'd avoid hammering them in so deeply...

You're decking looks marvelous!
Yes exactly that's what made me second guess if I was doing the planking right or not. First I thought the instructions must be right but then saw many photos of this stage of the build and saw people add the keel just as you described. I guess I'll try to fix the keel of top of these planks but if it doesnt fit snugly and sturdy I'll have to pull out those planks and fix the keel on the bulkheads instead (makes a lot more sense as it would have a much sturdier support on the bulkheads instead of the hull planking).

I think I'll sand the pins down as I fear pulling them out might put at risk of breaking some other parts in this case that theyre already in. Is it more common practice or easier in your experience to pull the pins out instead of hammering them all the way in?

Thank you for your advice!

Hopefully someone with more experience will provide an answer to the question about the pins. I have never used them...but I suspect most people pull them out rather than trying to sand down the heads (I did see someone cut them off leaving only the narrow shank).

Honestly, I'm doubtful that the keel/stem (curvy bit on the front)/sternpost (straight piece on the back) will fit correctly over the first layer of planking. You have the pieces - how about a test fit? It's easier to make the correction needed now versus later...

Not often shown in instructions is use of filler in bow (front) and stern (back) few sections between bulkheads which get filed down to match bulkheads, it makes it easier to glue and attach the ends where they curve hard. It gives them more area to be glued to and helps guide the shape for the wood.

Doc posted on another build log a good guide to doing planking of hull, maybe he can send it to you as well.

I do like your work so far, decks look great, and don't worry about being perfectly correct on your first few builds, your learning as you go, and will get better as you learn. We are all here to help.

Keep posting and ask questions when needed.

As long as the pins are solid brass, you can san the heads down while you sand the hull. If the pin heads are not embedded into the wood, you can pry the pins out with the edge of a razor knife and re-use the pins. I was able to recover about 70% of the pins on my current build, but those pins were easy to retrieve because they were Amati fine 7mm pins, which are very slender and leave a minimal hole behind.

Those pins that are left are sanded flush with the hull.
1658421566777.png

So I just did a quick test fit and rather surprisingly the curves of the keel do seem to match quite well considering I do some light sanding to the first planking. However I'm still not sure if I'll just glue the keel there now or take off those planks before I glue it in. I'll think about it tonight but I'm glad I still have both options.

Regarding the use of filler in the bow I'll definitely use it. Seems like it will make my life a lot easier. Also, the nails are indeed solid brass. I did a quick test sanding one on a scrap piece of wood and it went fine without any major issues. So I'll just sand away the ones that are already in and I'll try to pull out the new ones I that haven't nailed yet.

This pdf document looks really really useful very informative and to the point. Thank you so much Paul! Also Darivs' photo is quite useful as it shows exactly what I needed to see so thank you as well. And Kurt I also thank you for your kind words on my deck and I'll try not to worry too much about perfection as hard as it may be.

Fig 9 shows gluing the Keel over the second planking. If after sanding the curves fit for the keel, follow thr instructions. It will have the effect of the plank on the rabbet.

The first planking do it as you fill comfortable. Does not need to have s perfect layout of the planks. You will sand it and fill defects with putty. Sand and sand until it fill smooth and looks perfect concerning the hull curves. Of course, do not over sand :) . Test the keel from time to time.

When all is very smooth to your hand, start the second planking. For this one follow the planking rules to get it perfect like the picture of posting #14

Cheers
Daniel

I would leave the pins in place on this first layer of planking. Use a tool to tap the pins flush, or countersink, with the planking…then the sanding will take care of any other minor protrusions. The second layer planking will lay over the pins nicely…

Hey guys! So here's a really quick update on the hull planking. I put some wood filler and lightly sanded the parts where I already had planks to see how easy or hard it would be to sand the nails. It wasn't that hard but I guess if I can avoid it, it will be quicker so for the next planks y only nailed halfway and used a bit more glue. Also after wondering for some time how should I continue to plank I decided to go this way and up until now it seems do be going fine.

As always comments or suggestions are very welcome and appreciated. 20220723_024154.jpg20220723_024200.jpg

For a first-time project, you're doing a great job. My first project didn't come out that great but with time and practice I'm finally getting better. :=)
Keep up the great work.

Back