San Francisco II, Artesania Latina [Completed Build]

I started this over two years ago and got frustrated with it. Then I had to move to another city for work, and it got put away. This past month I pulled it back out and started working on it. I have to say I'm not enjoying this kit as much as others I've built. The instructions aren't intuitive and the construction is not very well thought out. I feel AL cut a lot of corners on this kit. But I'm determined to finish it before I look at another kit to build. I've cut a few corners because I just don't have the patience anymore to worry about doing things exactly. Not with this kit, anyway. It should still look good on the shelf, collecting dust like my other ships.

Attachments

• 0000.jpg
    0000.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 33
More of the details, and railing. I would have much rather had a nice, dark hardwood instead of the cheaper, light wood supplied for the railing and details, but I'm sure the kit would have cost a lot more.

Attachments

• 0009.jpg
    0009.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 0014.jpg
    0014.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 0015.jpg
    0015.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 0016.jpg
    0016.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 0017.jpg
    0017.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 13
Some ships kits are easier than others. This one is actually easier than most, but the instructions still assume you have some idea of where the build is going and skills in shaping and staining wood. Linseed oil will darken wood, so try it in a test piece and see if you like the color. Only apply linseed oil AFTER all other parts are glued to it, because it tends to make glue not stock to wood after it is applied. Adding stain to the oil may also be an option if you want it even darker. Using oil instead of stain retains the contrast of the wood grain a bit better.

I added the grating on the foredeck, and railings but I veered off from the instructions just a bit. One thing I did was not use the lower section under the railings, opting to mount the rail posts directly to the deck, which I feel looks better than the painted wood. The skylight grating on the foredeck, or forecastle, was in my opinion, too large and would have opened half way to the open deck below. I reduced it's size a bit so that it would only be above the compartment below it. Also, the deck overhang was unsupported as per the kit, so I added some bracing and some decoration just to make it look more interesting.0038.jpg0037.jpg0039.jpg

Attachments

• 0036.jpg
    0036.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 8
Regarding the reduction in size of the forecastle grating, which makes perfect sense from a construction standpoint; I wonder if there are sources showing Spanish Galleon deck designs that could illustrate a typical bulkhead and grate arrangement which could be used on this model. Are there books that have specific details on Spanish Galleon deck arrangements? This kit may have been titled with a specific ship name (SF II), but I'm willing to bet there are few features on this ship that would not be found on any typical Spanish Galleon.

Regarding the reduction in size of the forecastle grating, which makes perfect sense from a construction standpoint; I wonder if there are sources showing Spanish Galleon deck designs that could illustrate a typical bulkhead and grate arrangement which could be used on this model. Are there books that have specific details on Spanish Galleon deck arrangements? This kit may have been titled with a specific ship name (SF II), but I'm willing to bet there are few features on this ship that would not be found on any typical Spanish Galleon.

I have heard, maybe on this board, that there was no proof of an actual San Francisco II. The older model SFII as featured in another build thread, had the grating smaller, and forward of the bulkhead as well. On that kid there were openings in the deck, and the bulkhead was definitely seen aft of the opening.

I have heard, maybe on this board, that there was no proof of an actual San Francisco II. The older model SFII as featured in another build thread, had the grating smaller, and forward of the bulkhead as well. On that kid there were openings in the deck, and the bulkhead was definitely seen aft of the opening.
SF II is not the only fictional kit out there. San Felipe and Lady Nelson are also fictional kits based on a typical ship types of the time. Both are beautiful ships, but their individual namesakes never existed. Whether or not SF II existed as a real ship may be debatable, since internet sources on the supposed history of some ships is sometimes fiction told enough times to transform magically into historical fact over time, like the story of the San Felipe, a ship invented by the model kit manufacturer.

The link below tells us that the galleon San Francisco was originally named the Florencia. However, there does not seem to be a reference documenting where they got this information, although they list a bunch of books as references. Maybe the SF is mentioned in one of them. It might be worth the search. It would be great to be able to verify the existence of the galleon. The model is a good representation of a Spanish galleon and is relatively simple to build, yet detailed enough to be an accurate model one step above the mass produced pre-built models pumped out of China and other places filling the demand for completed model ships and a low price point.

History of the Galleon San Francisco

Last edited:
SF II is not the only fictional kit out there. San Felipe and Lady Nelson are also fictional kits based on a typical ship types of the time. Both are beautiful ships, but their individual namesakes never existed. Whether or not SF II existed as a real ship may be debatable, since internet sources on the supposed history of some ships is sometimes fiction told enough times to transform magically into historical fact over time, like the story of the San Felipe, a ship invented by the model kit manufacturer.

The link below tells us that the galleon San Francisco was originally named the Florencia...

Thank you for sharing that information. One thing I know for sure that that Artesania Latina really cheapened the kit in many ways over the older kit, though they improved on the lifeboat and the planking. But I think it will be a great display piece when finished. Again, thank you.

I'm very unhappy with AL and their photo etched pieces for the rudder hinges. They etched a score into them for where you need to bend them, but what they actually accomplished was adding a great place to break the pieces when you try to bend them. So I had to go out and buy some sheet brass and make my own. Not as nice looking at the ones from the kit, but they will work.

0041.jpg0040.jpg0042.jpg

Good evening Kristy.
Unfortunately for all of us, in the age of galleons there were not an industry to build them. These ships were build under order and every builder had its own methods and tricks so they were very jealouse of their secrets. The comsequences: No plans at all of specific ships.
The actual kits are based mainly in old pictures and drawings and in a lesser way in wreckages.
Other way is to dive into ancient documents telling us the special features and caracteristics approved by the crown regarding them.
Let me check my sources and I will tell you something....

PD Here you have a small list of some galleons and the one called "San Francisco"

List of galleons

The San Francisco

And regarding the shields you have put, they are very nice but with a little more effort you will make them really good.
Try to perfilate them with a fine line of dark brown and after that give them waterings of ocre color to kill the aspect of "brand new". To finish with it, a thin layer of satin varnish and that's it.

Greetings
Jaime

083 Perfilando adornos.JPG084 Adornos terminados.JPG134 Detalle mesa trinquete.JPG274 Vista popa.JPG297 Popa cubierta.JPG

And regarding the shields you have put, they are very nice but with a little more effort you will make them really good.
Try to perfilate them with a fine line of dark brown and after that give them waterings of ocre color to kill the aspect of "brand new". To finish with it, a thin layer of satin varnish and that's it.

Greetings
Jaime

View attachment 211048View attachment 211049View attachment 211050

Those are very nice. I don't think I will go back over them, but I will certainly utilize your suggestions on future builds. Who manufactured your kit? That's beautiful, and looks to be more detailed than the new Artesania Latina kit I am building. Older one, maybe?

Hi Kristy, as you have said is the old "San Francisco" released in the 90's when was manufactured in Spain, not in oriental countries as nowadays.

Here you have a book related to spanish galleons with some drawings of the "San Martin", maybe could help you with the distribution of the main deck.

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

And in this forum, Ramón Olivenza, a friend of ours has published the entire construction of a cargo galleon, is a master piece and fully documented.

Galeón del azogue

Hi Kristy, as you have said is the old "San Francisco" released in the 90's when was manufactured in Spain, not in oriental countries as nowadays.

Here you have a book related to spanish galleons with some drawings of the "San Martin", maybe could help you with the distribution of the main deck.

View attachment 211791View attachment 211792

And in this forum, Ramón Olivenza, a friend of ours has published the entire construction of a cargo galleon, is a master piece and fully documented.

Galeón del azogue

Thank you for all the great info!

Got some work done on the cannons. I am very disappointed in the quality of the cannons. As you can see on one, they drilled the hole twice, but both from the same starting hole. And as you can further see, NEITHER hole was square. I managed to make it work, but my faith in any further Artesania Latina kits has been shattered.

000.jpg001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg
0049.jpg0050.jpg0051.jpg0052.jpg0053.jpg0054.jpg000.jpg001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

Back