San Juan Nepomuceno 1765 1/90 scale Artesania Latina

Mat ar jeu ?

my two old fathers were see mens. one was on a merchant boat and the other was a "terre neuva". my wife's father was a oyster farmer in la baie de saint jacut before having his retreat. In a certain way, lots of things in britanny turn around the maritime domain.
And me ? i m just the guy who come sometimes to the see for swimming. that s why i will have a poor vocabulary on all boat things during this log but i m sure you all gonna help me to upgrade that state of fact ^^

i started the construction in march 2020 during the confinement period when my enterprise send me to house. i was litterally turning around and i don t know why i felt in love with that wood kit.

purist will be disapointed i guess because i made my own interpretation of the san juan for some aesthetic points.

in a first step i m gonna try to work through the backlog to comment my construction and the picture i ve taken then if it interest someone to help me to continue it here

as i said somewhere else it s my first experience in constructing a wood boat model ( the one i tried when i was 12 doesnt count pleeeeaaaaassee )

julien

Last edited:
8 mach 2020

As i was not totally crazy and because it is heavily satisfying to do things in the best way possible, it tooks me near one week to make all the research on some forums ( maybe this one couldn t remember )
I conclude i had to make a work site (don t know if it s the good word ) or the nepomuceno will always go port or starboard in the sea regarding if the keel were straight or not.
i decided to make a not expensive site with a piece of plywood and some squares fixed on the right place. now i will have insurance that i done all i could for keeping keel straight as i can20200308_164333.jpg

8 march 2020

i didn t know at this point but i made my first mistake. i ve gluted all the things together but i forgot to sand the black caused by laser cuting on wood surface. i will realise later that it was not easy to sand

at this point i had the idea to cut some wood sticks that i placed between frames for those frames to be as much perpendicular from the keel as i could20200308_164610.jpg

8 march 2020

i added loop hole bottoms. when fixed it gonna give first rigidity to the hull.
at this point i was anxious because they were made in a very tender plywood and i was afraid if they could break during the operation
to help i used a wood file to enlarge the lights it helped very much to soften the bendings and all the operation have been done without any trouble
20200308_213119.jpg

18 march 2020

fore crotch time !
it s time for me to discuss to the things who have been the most frustrating with this kit.
i wanted to have a kind of authentic feeling assembling my boat but what was my surprise when i realised that i had to put a simple cardboard shape at the prow of my vessel ! but ok i had to be a surgeon putting a mammary prothesis at the front of my boat ! maybe that s the way other models are designed, i don t know
20200318_093627.jpg

20 march 2020

i started the planking of the 2nd deck. during the operation i started to add details with a modelist knife and i used a mini drill i get from warhammer hobby. we can see here i made some mistakes at first but i decided not to restart the operation because the mistake things will be hidden later
20200320_031226.jpg

Back