San Juan Nepomuceno. 74c ship of the line 1766 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning Donnie and John, you could find the wood dye in any craftshop or hardware store. They are water based and you can adapt the deep of the color adding water to them.

For instance, I use the red for the inner parts of the hull, some details of the deck as well as the carriages of the cannons, but the red is very impacting so I apply a glaze of very dissolved wengé dye to make this parts dirty due to the use.

Other very useful product (for me of course) is the "bitumen". Soaking the standing rigging in it you can achieve a very realistic color and also a convenient rigidness.

Hope this could be of any help
Jaime

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage5.jpegimage4.jpegimage3.jpeg.

Good morning Donnie and John, you could find the wood dye in any craftshop or hardware store. They are water based and you can adapt the deep of the color adding water to them.

For instance, I use the red for the inner parts of the hull, some details of the deck as well as the carriages of the cannons, but the red is very impacting so I apply a glaze of very dissolved wengé dye to make this parts dirty due to the use.

Other very useful product (for me of course) is the "bitumen". Soaking the standing rigging in it you can achieve a very realistic color and also a convenient rigidness.

Hope this could be of any help
Jaime

View attachment 75254View attachment 75255View attachment 75256View attachment 75257View attachment 75258.
Hi Jaime,

Do you seal these coloured woods with oil or wax and is it possible to do it or does it result in stains in the finished surface?

Yep, that’s right.

I don’t like to use it directly onto the wood. It is very dense and its power to stain is very strong.

Trick: apply the bitumen on an already varnished surface. If not, the bitumen will soak the wood becoming it almost black (with no solution)

Hughs
Jaime

Good morning fellow modellers.

Today I would like to show you how I improved the model adding self made small boats instead of the terrible die cast launch.

For that purpose I used the launch of the Nepo and other one that I have from another model (the San Francisco) as moulds.

In the following pictures I show the process. If there is anything confusing, please let me know.Nepo_SoSmar1_01.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_02.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_03.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_04.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_07.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_09.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_11.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_12.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_13.jpgNepo_SoSmar1_14.jpg

I can not disagree @El Capi Great step-by-step tutorial. and well done. Many thanks for sharing with us. it is very much appropriated.
Thanks, Jimsky. I am not the best on working on this site, but as I know Soly for some Years now, I ask for help. Do to reason I do not build - now 4 Years now- but has built up a database with more than 2000 images and 1500 drawings, but there are more to be added. have made ut by Sections:1: Before building starts, like info, drawings, Sails and its rigning (running Rig(tools etc. 2: then making the false keel, keel bulkheads. 3: Planking. 4: Decks and what is added to the decks. 5: gun carriage, pipes and the hole Gun. 6: Making Masts and yards. T (Standing riggen. ) 7: mish tech details etc. poul erik andersen

Thank you very much Jim, Poul and Mike for your kind words.

In my experience sometimes in the books or manuals things look harder than really are. It is amazing how a few pictures can help, and enhance you to do jobs than otherwise didn't even try.

Hugs
Jaime

Back