San Juan Nepomuceno. 74c ship of the line 1766 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you very much my fellow modellers. It's truly gratifying that my humble work could help someone else.

In my opinion this is a wonderful hobby, to create something nice out of (almost) nothing is great. The only negative point is that you do it alone, BUT with forums like this one we can share our pieces and be "together" although it is a virtual company ;)

Hughs
Jaime

Good morning again fellow modellers.

Here I am, at last I managed to finish the sails furled, using the technique of the silkspan. From here I would like to give thanks to Tom Lauria for his vido tutorial SAILS
Nepo_SoSJun_01.jpgNepo_SoSJun_02.jpgNepo_SoSJun_03.jpgNepo_SoSJun_04.jpgNepo_SoSJun_05.jpgNepo_SoSJun_06.jpgNepo_SoSJun_07.jpgNepo_SoSJun_08.jpgNepo_SoSJun_09.jpg
Now I will show you the proccess and the results that, I think, are quite successfull providing that is my first attemp with this system. Although I must say that I've spent many hours and material testing and doing different things until achieving the final result.

Greetings
Jaime

Good morning! Sorry for my ignorance. What is silkspan and where from one gets this thing? Thanks.
the given link was not very visible - so here once more

I have to say, that the installed furled sails are looking very realistic - I was in beginning a little bit skeptic, but is is really looking good

I searched for "silkspan" on eBay and Amazon. Such product is not available. Maybe it is sold under different name? What this thing looking like?? Or better where is it used but for making scaled planes and ship sails?

I searched for "silkspan" on eBay and Amazon. Such product is not available. Maybe it is sold under different name? What this thing looking like?? Or better where is it used but for making scaled planes and ship sails?
Maybe this one

Good evening fellow modellers, sorry for the delay but I’ve been off-line.

First of all, Snowy, the timber in the decks floor is the one provided by the kit (mahogany) but properly aged with some dying and brushed with alcohol. The pins in the edges are made with toothpicks.

Y.T. You’re right, the silkspan is being disappearing because of the major use of oracover. I mean, the silkspan was used to cover the wings of the RC planes but now the people is using oracover, a plastic film that shrinks with heat and is more durable so the silk paper is not used anymore. Unfortunately for us the ship-modellers :oops:

PS The oracover is useless for our purposes
Hughs
Jaime

Good afternoon fellow modellers.

Thanks for your coments Snowy ;)

Maarten you have to take into acount that everything is affected by the sun. This paper is quite resistent but I would keep it away of the direct sunlight (and of course the whole kit). Regarding the durability I don’t know, I haven’t used it before.

Greetings
Jaime

Good morning fellow modellers.
This is coming to an end. I´m dealing with the final details. The ports in the first deck, half cannons, beacons, the fake coils in
the pins, the anchors and the name plate.
Only the flag is missing.... soon

Hughs
Jaime

Nepo_Jun2_18.jpgNepo_Jun2_21.jpgNepo_Jun2_25.jpgNepo_Jun2_20.jpgNepo_Jun2_23.jpgNepo_Jun2_28.jpg
JaimeNepo_Jun2_10.jpgNepo_Jun2_12.jpgNepo_Jun2_13.jpg

Attachments

• Nepo_Jun2_15.jpg
    Nepo_Jun2_15.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 10
Back