Santa Ana from AL - Revisited

Really a good looking model kit - with still adequate room for some improvements, maybe by Artesania (block sizes, some metal works etc.)
or by the modeler with kit bashing.

But definitely what I can not understand is the fact, that more or less all blocks installed (gun tackles, rigging etc.) are installed wrong and should be turned by 180°
So the modelmaker from Artesania should register here as a member in SOS .......... There is also some room for improvement ;)

Screenshot 2022-10-05 095259.png Screenshot 2022-10-05 095355.png
Screenshot 2022-10-05 095500.png
Screenshot 2022-10-05 095603.png
Screenshot 2022-10-05 095746.png

Really a good looking model kit - with still adequate room for some improvements, maybe by Artesania (block sizes, some metal works etc.)
or by the modeler with kit bashing.

But definitely what I can not understand is the fact, that more or less all blocks installed (gun tackles, rigging etc.) are installed wrong and should be turned by 180°
So the modelmaker from Artesania should register here as a member in SOS .......... There is also some room for improvement ;)

View attachment 332267 View attachment 332268
View attachment 332269
View attachment 332270
View attachment 332271
Ahuh! so I'm not the only one who followed AL instructions and rigged the blocks back 2 front. Even AL did it. :D - thank you again Ewek. cheers Thumbs-Up

I have the old version of this kit in drydock at the moment.
Interesting that the new kit has the colours on the hull around the gun decks. It seems from a ittle research the pattern was black and white please correct me if I am wrong. The Santa Ana also had a copper hull in a later fitting but do not see it on this kit. The brief mentions new fittings and upgraded mouldings mainly figuirehead etc and also timber boats which is an improvement

The gun tackle blocks are so crazily out of scale you would be better off with no blocks.

For my model of the Confederacy I exchanged the provided blocks by blocks from syrenshipmodelcompany.com

I like the kit, but I don't know what they were thinking when they put those blocks on them. Obviously it would be necessary to change them for ones more appropriate to the scale.

AL used to have a Victory model. I wonder if they will renew that one too? Then things will start getting interesting for me. I have yet to build a Victory model.

The point is that the kits must not be too expensive, so they are provided with cheap mass products regarding fittings and accessories regardless of historical accuracy. What always annoys me is that those kits are offered with attributes like e. g. "expert kit" or "museum quality"

For my model of the Confederacy I exchanged the provided blocks by blocks from syrenshipmodelcompany.com
Such bad quality blocks and ropes in the standard kits produces the advantage for the aftersales market.
But try next time the blocks from @Dry-Dock Models & Parts - you will be even more happy with these

BTW: "Expert kit" means - you have to be an expert for bashing to make a good model out of it
I do not like the term "museum quality" which means in reality nothing - but we had already several discussions related to this wording

Such bad quality blocks and ropes in the standard kits produces the advantage for the aftersales market.
But try next time the blocks from @Dry-Dock Models & Parts - you will be even more happy with these

BTW: "Expert kit" means - you have to be an expert for bashing to make a good model out of it
I do not like the term "museum quality" which means in reality nothing - but we had already several discussions related to this wording
Hello Uwe,
Thank you for your recommendation, I will come back to it with my next ship model.

Regarding the wording I fully agree....where can I find the discussions?

Interesting that the rerelease is shown with painted hull.I cannot help but think Artesania now supply cheaper hull planking materials like Vasa and Soleil Royal.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hello Uwe,
Thank you for your recommendation, I will come back to it with my next ship model.

Regarding the wording I fully agree....where can I find the discussions?
f.e. here:

but it is a subject which is regularly coming up.....

f.e. here:

but it is a subject which is regularly coming up.....
Uwe, thank you very much

Having built the previous ( Middle version. There was a previous version that was supplied with a proper base and pedestals ) of this ands= looking at the unboxing, all they have done is replaced the Mahogany & Walnut with generic stain your self wood, replaced the turned brass cannons with cast mental ones and re done the cannon trucks. Basically reduced the quality of the wood to comply with sustainability woods ( ROFL), reduce production cost so that price can be close RRP'd to what it was previoulsy priced at.

Amazingly the manual still shows the previous wood and only appears to differ in the ship boats being done from scratch vs overlining cast ones with wood veneer.

In simple terms its the same as it was but done cheaper!

Its a big kit, with some KIT flaws and a manual that is great till you get to the rigging.

All that is said above is true. After AL went bankrupt a few years ago, they made a restart with the company. New owner and new "go to market" plan.
Previously all the kits were assambled and produced in Spain. Nowadays AL let the kits produce in China. With all the import and wood regulations, expansive hardwoods are replaced with cheap plywood and basswood. In the shop they offer all sorts of stains and paint which boost sales on products. The prices of the kits remains the same as the previous ones or got just more expensive for whatever reason.

In the end, you can still get a nice kit from AL, but you have to replace the woods for nice hardwood yourself. It comes with a price and I'm not sure if that appeal to the public.
Personaly, I did like the "older" kits with all the nice walnut planks and almost no plywood.

Unfortunately you see other kitmakers make the same choices like Mantua, Model shipways, Occre etc...

Back