Santa Maria 1492 - Artesania Latina - scale 1:65 [COMPLETED BUILD]

A lantern

Well, before we go working on the masts, I had some small side tasks to fulfill. I had to construct the lantern of the ship in some sort of way that it's pleasing for the eye. So, I took some brass rod and flattened the end, drilled two holes and bended into an acceptable shape.

SM_670.jpgSM_671.jpgSM_672.jpgSM_673.jpgSM_674.jpgSM_675.jpg

The next thing is to play a bit with some rope and attach it to the anchors. I know the knots are not accurate, but it's the best for this moment what I can do.

SM_677.jpgSM_678.jpgSM_679.jpgSM_680.jpgSM_681.jpgSM_682.jpgSM_683.jpgSM_684.jpgSM_685.jpgSM_686.jpg

Masts, yards....

I've started with some construction work on the main mast. Unfortunately a few pictures seems to got lost somewhere during the process.
SM_691.jpg
SM_692.jpgSM_693.jpgSM_694.jpgSM_695.jpg

I stained the ropes with a wood dye to give the ropes a dark brown, almost black colour.

SM_704.jpg

SM_696.jpgSM_697.jpgSM_698.jpgSM_699.jpgSM_700.jpgSM_701.jpgSM_702.jpgSM_703.jpgSM_705.jpgSM_706.jpgSM_707.jpg

I'm not that good with knots and ropes, so I asked my son to help me out a bit. :)

SM_708.jpgSM_709.jpg

SM_710.jpg
SM_711.jpgSM_712.jpgSM_713.jpg

SM_714.jpg

Next update I'll continue with the masts, yards etc..

Pter

Last edited:
Masts, yards....part 2

First off all, I don't have a lathe, so to taper the yards I use my drill and some sandpaper (a poor man's lathe). Maybe a bit less sophisticated, but it works for now. Just put a bit more elbow grease into the work to get it done.

SM_715.jpg
SM_716.jpgSM_717.jpgSM_718.jpgSM_719.jpgSM_720.jpgSM_721.jpgSM_722.jpgSM_723.jpg

At this point everything went well, until I hit a mistake in my stock items. Some wood was missing and I couldn't continue. AL made a mistake and put the wrong wood in the box. So I ordered some new walnut roundbar but I knew the diameter was wrong. It was to large. So again with my poor mans lathe I reduced the diameter. It took me some time and effort, but it worked out ok.

SM_724.jpg
SM_725.jpgSM_726.jpgSM_727.jpgSM_728.jpgSM_729.jpgSM_730.jpgSM_731.jpg

Last edited:
Itchy stitchy sails...
So, the kit comes with "instant" or prefabricated sails. At first glance it's not to bad. After some inspection, it's not that good either. I decided to use them but with some alternations.
Then the "red cross" issue on the sails... I am not a big fan of those. There is a lot of speculation between scientist and scholars if there were red crosses on the SM or not. We know that there were different meanings of the red crosses. There was the Christian Orde and the Knights Templers Orde with both different interpretations of a red cross on the sails.

So, different types of crosses, different meanings, different time periods, the debates over with and without.... I know for sure that I'm not a scientist and a scholar...so I go without red crosses on my sails. I will alter them a little by staining the cloth with some tea..

SM_735.jpgSM_736.jpgSM_737.jpgSM_738.jpgSM_739.jpgSM_740.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied with the overall color. However, I think the SM deserves just a bit more on the quality of the sails. I think it will complement the model and so I choose to "upgrade" the pre-fab sails a bit so they look a bit better.

So, the first sail as it is, soaked in tea...

SM_788.jpg

Time to pull the poor thing apart...

SM_790.jpg

I the cut away the excess of the fold and reduced the width of the fold.

SM_791.jpg

Then put it back together...

SM_792.jpg

I do not have access to a sewing machine so I do this part by hand with needle and thread.

SM_793.jpgSM_794.jpg

SM_795.jpgSM_796.jpg

And the result...

SM_797.jpgSM_798.jpg

What I have done so far is to use the pre-fab sails and took everything apart and build it up again with a different approach. I stained the cloth, stained the rope that goes around the sail (do not know the English term) and sewed everything by hand into a sail again. After spending some midnight hours doing so, this is the finished result...

SM_800.jpg

Finishing the sails....

It's time to put the sails on the yards, but the instruction manual was not clear again. The drawings stated that the sails are connected to the yards by two loops in the rope that goes around the sail. It was not what I liked so, I changed this as well....

SM_801.jpgSM_802.jpgSM_803.jpgSM_804.jpgSM_805.jpgSM_806.jpgSM_807.jpgSM_808.jpgSM_809.jpgSM_810.jpgSM_811.jpgSM_812.jpgSM_813.jpgSM_814.jpgSM_815.jpgSM_816.jpg

I made another mistake on the main sail. It's upside down on it's yard. I noticed this much later on and decided to leave it like this....maybe nobody will notice....sssstttt....
Ah well, can't have it all you know.... :rolleyes:

Pter

Rigging the ship - stays & shrouds
So, to hold the main mast sideways, stays & shrouds were used. I'll show you the start of this process by rigging the first shrouds.
I use a simple but effective jig for the distance between the deadeyes.

SM_741.jpg
SM_743.jpgSM_744.jpgSM_745.jpg

So the picture above shows the way I use my jig to hold the deadeyes in place, so I can easily connect the shroud to the deadeye.
After this I made the lanyards to tighten the shrouds. With a temporary knot I let the shrouds be for 24 hours and bring it on tension after this and fixate the lanyards.

SM_746.jpgSM_747.jpgSM_748.jpgSM_749.jpgSM_750.jpgSM_751.jpgSM_752.jpg
SM_753.jpgSM_754.jpg

The lanyards

Upfront I was a bit anxious, because I don't have much experience with lanyards. I believe this is the first time I ever make lanyards on a model.... o_O
So, I just apply what level is reachable with my imagination and my limited tools and hope for the best....

ps. on all threads beeswax is applied.

SM_755.jpgSM_756.jpgSM_757.jpgSM_758.jpgSM_759.jpgSM_760.jpgSM_761.jpgSM_762.jpgSM_763.jpgSM_764.jpgSM_765.jpg
SM_766.jpgSM_767.jpgSM_768.jpgSM_769.jpgSM_770.jpgSM_771.jpgSM_772.jpgSM_773.jpgSM_774.jpgSM_775.jpg

So, this is it....hopefully it meets "the standard" and high level on this forum.

ciao,
Pter

The end of a rope...

In this update I hit a little snag, I run out of thread. Luckily, AL has more on stock, so I purchased a new role of light brown cotton thread so I could continue.

SM_828.jpg

SM_832.jpg

SM_782.jpgSM_783.jpgSM_784.jpgSM_786.jpgSM_787.jpgSM_817.jpgSM_818.jpgSM_819.jpgSM_820.jpgSM_821.jpgSM_822.jpgSM_823.jpgSM_824.jpgSM_825.jpgSM_826.jpgSM_827.jpg

I wanted to do something different with the sails. I like the idea of wind in the sails. So, there are several ways to do so, most of the things I've seen is to used thinned woodglue and use a brush to "paint" the woodglue on the sails and then use a balloon or another round object, lay the sail onto the rounded object and let it dry. It happens the cloth becomes hard and it's not what I wanted. So I came up with another solution I copied from another build in the past. I use brass wire and push the brass wire into the lining of the cloth and mold it with my hands into the desired shape.

SM_829.jpg

SM_830.jpg
SM_831.jpg

I need to change the flags and banner of the ship. First of all, they are to white, second, the material is a bit to "stiff".
They are made of a synthetic fiber and it's a bit hopeless to work with....It's like a sticker and you need to fold and stick both halves together..... I still want to use them in a sort of way. So, I want to age the banners and flags somehow, but tea is not working. I tried a wood stain and that remarkably did the trick.

SM_836.jpgSM_837.jpgSM_838.jpg

I finished the model, next update is a photoshoot of the finished ship from all angles.

Pter

Last edited:
The last chapter - Set sail - Finished - part 2

SM_864.jpgSM_865.jpgSM_866.jpgSM_867.jpgSM_868.jpgSM_869.jpgSM_870.jpgSM_871.jpgSM_872.jpgSM_873.jpgSM_874.jpgSM_875.jpgSM_876.jpgSM_877.jpgSM_878.jpgSM_879.jpgSM_880.jpgSM_881.jpg

I placed the SM at my parents house and this is it's final place.

- The End -

When I started with the build of this model, I had a specific goal in mind. I needed to finish this model within 8 months, it must be within budget (150USD) and I must enjoy the creative process. I did all that so my mission is a success!
During this build I've learned many things and I've enjoyed the building process very much, but I'm truly blessed with all the friends whom I met during this build. In particular I want to thank you guys, for all the nice comments, replies, questions and likes. You made me feel special!
I really hope you guys and also girls liked my log and maybe helped you in a way for your own model! Sharing knowledge is what it's all about I guess!

My next project will start soon, stay tuned and we will meet again!

Until now, Bon Voyage Christopher Columbus!

download%2B%25282%2529.jpg

See ya later!
Peter

View attachment 263058View attachment 263059View attachment 263060View attachment 263061View attachment 263062View attachment 263063View attachment 263064View attachment 263065View attachment 263066View attachment 263067View attachment 263068View attachment 263069View attachment 263070View attachment 263071View attachment 263072View attachment 263073View attachment 263074View attachment 263075

- The End -

When I started with the build of this model, I had a specific goal in mind. I needed to finish this model within 8 months, it must be within budget (150USD) and I must enjoy the creative process. I did all that so my mission is a success!
During this build I've learned many things and I've enjoyed the building process very much, but I'm truly blessed with all the friends whom I met during this build. In particular I want to thank you guys, for all the nice comments, replies, questions and likes. You made me feel special!
I really hope you guys and also girls liked my log and maybe helped you in a way for your own model! Sharing knowledge is what it's all about I guess!

See ya later!
Peter
хорошо смотрится .канатики всё портят

Pter, I enjoyed your build log very much. You have explained your process very well and illustrated it also. Very well done. I have a suggestion for the sails. I have used a diluted starch on them, left them on the yardarms and placed them horizontal which does a nice job of billowing them out and looking like they are filled with air.

Pter, I enjoyed your build log very much. You have explained your process very well and illustrated it also. Very well done. I have a suggestion for the sails. I have used a diluted starch on them, left them on the yardarms and placed them horizontal which does a nice job of billowing them out and looking like they are filled with air.
Thank you for the advice. I'll keep that in mind for my next model. Hope you will enjoy my next build as well. Happy modeling!

And it seems to me the small size of the mainsail and foresail sails. Additional panels could be added from below. Connect with the help of bonets.

Thank you for posting this log Peter. I had just gotten myself immersed in it and then it is finished! :D You did a great job and I for one will be looking forward to your next project in anticipation. Have you decided yet what the next model will be?

Thank you for posting this log Peter. I had just gotten myself immersed in it and then it is finished! :D You did a great job and I for one will be looking forward to your next project in anticipation. Have you decided yet what the next model will be?
Hello Heinrich, many thanks for the compliments. I loved working on SM and it's the best I can do with my tools and workplace. My next model will be Cazador a Xebec of OcCre. On my shelf also lies Royal Caroline of Panart, but she just has to wait until Cazador is finished. I'll hope to see you in my next buildlog and I wish you all the best with your "moving" "issues" in China. I'll just hope everything will turned out okay for you.

regards,
Pter

View attachment 263058View attachment 263059View attachment 263060View attachment 263061View attachment 263062View attachment 263063View attachment 263064View attachment 263065View attachment 263066View attachment 263067View attachment 263068View attachment 263069View attachment 263070View attachment 263071View attachment 263072View attachment 263073View attachment 263074View attachment 263075

- The End -

See ya later!
Very nice model and thank you for the log, might try some of your tips with my build.
Cheers

Back