Santisima Trinidad cross section Occre - bashed [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Michael, You build is the classic example of what modified (or as you said in the title - bashed) kit is all about. You have a really good eye, and attention to small often time omitted details. Your explanation makes this build log very interesting to read. Thank you for sharing with us!!

Last edited:
Jim, Mike, Uwe,

Thanks so much for your very nice thoughts - so appreciated indeed.
Some minor updated thoughts;
Now sort of in a quandary – Don’t quite know what I want to with the upper gun deck?? As it is - the mid gun deck is empty.
So in the interim, I started work on the main (weather deck) will also continue with outer and inner hull planking, add the gun openings and so on.

Will leave the upper gun deck unglued and decide what to do with it. Tempted to add two smaller fully rigged guns to one side. in any case putting the main deck in place will give my eyes a look at how to deal with upper gun deck detaining.

Main deck will prob. be fully planked along with four rigged guns. Want to leave out some of the inner/outer side hull planks in order to see the upper futtock frames (as I did in the hold.) just thinking….
PS: The kit provided main deck provided a nice template for building the upper frames :)

As always,

Cheers

Great work Michael,your cross section has come on a treat since I last had a look in.Sorry life has got in the way a little over the last few years.I am moving house soon then hope to be back on the scene with a vengeance;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel, W w,

Thanks for your nice comments much appreciated. Nigel good luck with your move, I know you have been on-and-off forums for a while now. Nice to see you dropping by, and getting ready to reopen your shipyard - one of the highest order.
=======
Having second thoughts regarding the hold - I think that I need to add some barrels as well but, as I had mentioned previously I don't like any of the examples that are available commercially - especially when looking at their "tops". Need to think about this. I also learned that the shot locker should probably not be in the hold, but rather on the orlop deck - It is more visible where is however. Regarding the upper gun deck have decided to partially plank each side and add 2 rigged carriages one on each side, one facing towards the stern and the other up front - and leaving some planks missing.

As always thanks for the likes, and comments.

Regards,

Hi Michael
Have you checked out the Artesania Latina Barrels?I have some that were included in a kit I bought that is the same scale(ish) as your build.They are boxwood so you may want to calm the colour down to blend with your cross section but they look great in the flesh.I know they are turned from a solid lump of wood,but with your brilliant imagination, I am sure will be able to conjure up a way to add a little detail.
Only other option is to scratchbuild out of 'wedges' glued together then turned on your lathe.That is not going to be easy at 1/90!!

Kind Regards

Nigel

NIgel,
Thanks for your suggestion - I did look at them and I will keep those in mind (they do look fairly good). Though I decided to first, try working with several of my left-over barrels. It was going to be a small added detail in the hold - so did not want to spend too much time with this - I'm satisfied with the results. Will post an update very soon.

Cheers,

Hi Mates,

Minor update; decided to leave mid-gun deck as it was just a hammock and a table, added lanterns and gun door tackle rigging.
The upper gun deck will have only two fully rigged carriages as I did for the lower gun deck - but towards the stern. Glad to see that all of the installed lanterns are still working.

Need to still do lots of detailing on outer hull planks/wales along with trimming back bits of wood here and there (on my list)…Also will replank main deck planks - still learning about how to properly cut and treenail to scale.

Cheers,

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Thanks mates for the likes and comments.

Uwek, yes must have been something indeed living and working in those ships. That said the dark, dank and smelly interior decks were still probably much preferred than the photo below.

As an aside, I can only imagine people 75+ years from now wondering how could travellers possibly put up with, and spend 17 hours sardined into an Airbus A380 flying from LAX to SYD for example. Certainly by then supersonic commercial transport, if not hypersonic, will indeed be part of the norm.

OK back to ships - always found this photo to be almost unreal - what a life those clipper hand must have had.

re: the Santisima -- found some errors that I am resolving (my build mistakes) so doing some fixes - will post soon
As always thanks for dropping by

men on sails.jpg

Another of my small updates; finished the upper deck, installed the two carriages, lanterns, and door tackles. Decided to minimally detail the two carriages, as they will be so out-of-sight.

Note those lantern wires need to be lengthened, and then hidden and spooled behind the side frames. Purchased a spool of the same specific wires from the LED sourced company (Evan Designs LED)
Those 18 wires will also need to run under the (to be made) case so that I can have the on-off switch easily available after ship is incased. Ship will only be visible from the front, and the case will be made so as to hang on a wall.

Also need to add knees and support stanchions to the lower decks – later..

Now onto the upper deck details,,,,

Thanks for the likes and visits.
1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.JPG9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Back