Santisima Trinidad cross section Occre - bashed [COMPLETED BUILD]

I want to mention, that the way you present your comments inside the photos is great - we can follow your thoughts and work very well - great idea

I am really out of word
The quality of your work is just amassing Thumbs-Up

Question for youQuestion-Mark
Are you just doing a section representation or an accurate Santisima Trinidad ?
If is the ST and you are following the dimension for the mast there are a mistake
They transpose the dimension of the (OcCre) ship to the section and make a mistake of 40mm on the ship it is 434mm because it do not go to the button of the hull but give the same dimension for the mast on the section 434 in place of 474

12-1.jpg
Also on the top deck in position at the main mast it was not long gun put there, for the French and Spanish navy they call them sea howitzer English Carronade 24pound
Here the gun acquisition for the 1805 ST
1a.JPG

Last edited:
Jim: Thanks so much for your very nice thoughts – much appreciated indeed.

Charles: Thanks as well for your comments, also thanks for the info.
This cross-section is just an exercise for me. After finishing the Vasa, I wanted to do a build that taught me how an interior looked, and was built. So this is a very new learning experience. I’m sure that a lot of details are incorrect. But it is a representation of the inner structures. I knew that I had no intention of just building the kit “right out of the box”. I’m learning a lot including of new skills as well as much new vocabulary. My specific ship knowledge is very limited, so;

Regarding the upper deck guns - these are right out of the kit. No research (I obviously built the carriages)
Regarding the mast the cross-section instructions also include several 1/1 dimensional line drawings. I will use those sizes for the masts and yards. The complete ship’s lower main mast is indeed of a diff. length; the cross-section’s mast does go through all the decks down into the hold.

Thanks for the information, and your so nice comments. Couple of pics.

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572 copy.jpg

The work and attention to the detail that you ad are amazing
As I said I am out of word :D Thumbs-Up
My comment are from the experience I got building (with a lots of mistake) both the OcCre section and ship in the same time. Those model where build for My older son and with restriction.
As an exercise of stile your build are just fantasticFirst Place Metal

Hi Mates,

So appreciate the nice comments – thanks for your continued interest. Charles you are much too kind. You have quite a resume of builds - great indeed.

Work in progress;

Topmast crosstree & main lower platform;
kit provided bits were useful as templates.
I know that the lower platform should be painted black (as well as hull trim red/white etc….) but I prefer the natural look of woods - crosstree done, platform getting there.

The mast and all of those attached side support bits will be a first time effort for me.

PS: Using Boudroit book three 74 Gun Ship) as a guide - yes French ship but similar timeline.

Regards,

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpeg10.jpg

Minor update;

I discovered (previous build) that using black nylon fishing line is an acceptable way of adding “in scale” nails to some needed areas.

Finished up the platform still need to add the ten deadeyes. Now focusing on the lower main mast.
Used the kit provided dowel, but used the kit bibbs only as a template. Again went to the Boudroit’s book for a guide in adding some extra details. Bibbs should be made up of several pieces of lumber. My results are a much simpler than what is in his book.

For the cheeks I used pre- scored deck plank sheets. Easier to bend when wet. Now need to see how to properly rope these three cheeks around the mast. Some references have two sets of mast bracing ropes, then cheeks are added above pre-installed ropes and then an outer layer of ropes is added. Hmmm? Need to work that out.

Then on to the mast cap, and other needed blocks.

Regards,

1.jpg2.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Nigel, thanks indeed -- I have not seen updates from you - Have I been missing them?
Jim much appreciated
Charles you are way too kind thanks - especially from a seasoned builder such as yourself

Now working on the mast as well as installing the deadeyes for the platform......

Back