Saying hello to everyone

Hello to all and thank you for inviting me into your group. Residing in central Pennsylvania I am a first time modeler nearing the completion of Calder Craft's "HMS Snake". I've dubbed her "Serpentina". I bought the model back in late 2013, worked on it some 500-600 hrs and let it sit for 5 1/2 years. I was preparing for retirement and spent many long days doing extra work for my building business and just could not bring myself to work on the ship. I've built everything from houses, light commercial buildings, finish carpentry, and cabinetry for kitchens and baths. During that time and old friend, of 50 years'told me several times that he wanted to see it finished before he dies. Well, in late December of 2019 I finally cleared away the mounds of dust from the work bench, reorganized the plans and parts and the next day started up once again. With much research,including befriending the curators at the US Navel Academy in Annapolis Maryland, not far from home,I commenced working again with renewed determination.
My friend's birthday was coming up in late March and I wanted to surprise him in an unusual way by taking him out to dinner. The plan was to prearrange a table with the ship all ready there. The idea was to have the waitress tell my friend that because this was his special day he should choose his favorite table.
My son, a videographer, was to be there to capture the moment. Well, the covid-19 virus put a halt to that possibility.
Also, some much needed parts were not delivered in time. I have been granted a reprieve! I shall continue when the ducks are in order. I will post some photos a little later.
I have a question regarding the building the next model. I saw an add for the large scale "HMS Victory" and would consider building it. I have the time and space to give it a go. Your thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated. I did
have a great deal of difficulty with this build because the plans and instructions were a disaster. Not to mention the missing parts. I trust that this next model will come with a better layout. You know as a first time modeler, spending the asking price for these kits, expecting that all your details would come with the model. I can't tell you, you v'e been there of course, how many times I proceeded building only to find out that all efforts were wasted and the tear out cost the rebuilding of parts and systems. I would say it may have been 25% or more. Thanks All.

Welcome to SOS, take a look at ZHL, website, they also have very many nice building kits that you can consider, very good quality.-

Welcome aboard! I can appreciate your pain with kits lacking parts. I have been working on a model of the Pinnace Virginia for awhile now that was lacking a bunch of parts - not through the fault of the manufacturer though, mostly due to the theft of them by an unscrupulous individual. But I got it really cheap because of it. The ordering of the additional pieces/parts takes time and often you don't really know what your going to need until you get there. Stay safe and healthy in these trying times.

Hallo,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

If it is for you important, that you have good plans and manuals, I would recommend to stay with Jotika / Caldercraft kits. You have built already the Snake, so you know, what you can expect. Nevertheless the Snake is already one older kit from them, so you can expect with the Diana, Agamemnon or the Victory even better quality. -> Look around here and check the building logs-area of our forum, you will get a good feeling for the different offered kits, european, american and also chinese kits.

Hallo,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

If it is for you important, that you have good plans and manuals, I would recommend to stay with Jotika / Caldercraft kits. You have built already the Snake, so you know, what you can expect. Nevertheless the Snake is already one older kit from them, so you can expect with the Diana, Agamemnon or the Victory even better quality. -> Look around here and check the building logs-area of our forum, you will get a good feeling for the different offered kits, european, american and also chinese kits.
Thank you for the information as I have just ordered the Mantua 52.18 " Victory and the 44" Sovereign of the Seas kits. I have plenty of room and plan to build a modeling room/ shop to accommodate the working area. I also plan to make all the necessary lines and rope needed for each kit. Syren blocks and fittings will be used throughout. Plans to keep a better build log and pics to present to the members is on my list.

Welcome aboard! I can appreciate your pain with kits lacking parts. I have been working on a model of the Pinnace Virginia for awhile now that was lacking a bunch of parts - not through the fault of the manufacturer though, mostly due to the theft of them by an unscrupulous individual. But I got it really cheap because of it. The ordering of the additional pieces/parts takes time and often you don't really know what your going to need until you get there. Stay safe and healthy in these trying times.
Thanks Jim J, After nearly completing my first build the Calder Craft HMS Snake I have learned volumes of dos and don'ts that will save countless hours of frustration(and a few dozen expletives). I know this forum will definitely be quite beneficial, with it's vast knowledge base, in improving the process.

Welcome to SOS, take a look at ZHL, website, they also have very many nice building kits that you can consider, very good quality.-
Thanks Norway, I plan to pick a few Minds along the way and perhaps have some insights myself as time goes by.

Hello to all and thank you for inviting me into your group. Residing in central Pennsylvania I am a first time modeler nearing the completion of Calder Craft's "HMS Snake". I've dubbed her "Serpentina". I bought the model back in late 2013, worked on it some 500-600 hrs and let it sit for 5 1/2 years. I was preparing for retirement and spent many long days doing extra work for my building business and just could not bring myself to work on the ship. I've built everything from houses, light commercial buildings, finish carpentry, and cabinetry for kitchens and baths. During that time and old friend, of 50 years'told me several times that he wanted to see it finished before he dies. Well, in late December of 2019 I finally cleared away the mounds of dust from the work bench, reorganized the plans and parts and the next day started up once again. With much research,including befriending the curators at the US Navel Academy in Annapolis Maryland, not far from home,I commenced working again with renewed determination.
My friend's birthday was coming up in late March and I wanted to surprise him in an unusual way by taking him out to dinner. The plan was to prearrange a table with the ship all ready there. The idea was to have the waitress tell my friend that because this was his special day he should choose his favorite table.
My son, a videographer, was to be there to capture the moment. Well, the covid-19 virus put a halt to that possibility.
Also, some much needed parts were not delivered in time. I have been granted a reprieve! I shall continue when the ducks are in order. I will post some photos a little later.
I have a question regarding the building the next model. I saw an add for the large scale "HMS Victory" and would consider building it. I have the time and space to give it a go. Your thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated. I did
have a great deal of difficulty with this build because the plans and instructions were a disaster. Not to mention the missing parts. I trust that this next model will come with a better layout. You know as a first time modeler, spending the asking price for these kits, expecting that all your details would come with the model. I can't tell you, you v'e been there of course, how many times I proceeded building only to find out that all efforts were wasted and the tear out cost the rebuilding of parts and systems. I would say it may have been 25% or more. Thanks All.
Hallo,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Back