scale help

Hello all.
Let me start by saying I am as thick as two shorts when it comes to scale.
I have acquired from ebay among other things a part built cutaway model which I've identified as a Del Prado magazine build of HMS Bounty. It's 1:46 scale. There's the same cutaway ship by Occre in 1:45 scale and I can download the build instructions with photos and plans from their website. How much 'out' am I going to be in using the plans to scratch build the bits I'm missing? As I say I'm useless as working out scale and size ratios.

Hello all.
I have acquired from ebay among other things a part built cutaway model which I've identified as a Del Prado magazine build of HMS Bounty. It's 1:46 scale. There's the same cutaway ship by Occre in 1:45 scale and I can download the build instructions with photos and plans from their website. How much 'out' am I going to be in using the plans to scratch build the bits I'm missing? As I say I'm useless as working out scale and size ratios.
Parts described in the 1:45 plans will be 2% larger than they should be for your 1:46 model.

that's it Y.T. - a very usefull expression and one that I frequently apply to myself.
Thanks Jimmy - I think I'll make and then adjust by eye and hopefully it'll work. The hull is complete it's deck fittings, rigging, masts etc I need to make

I would think for many items, the difference would be less than the tolerance of the desired dimension. For example, a 0.25" diameter mast would be off by 0.005". Way finer tolerance than my woodworking skills!

Hello all.
The parts at 1/48 wil be about 4.17% smaller than the parts at 1/46. That translates to an error on the real ship of about one half inch per foot. The error in your model parts will be about 0.01 inch smaller per quarter inch. My guess is, " no one will know if you don' t tell them".

Hi,
I do not think the scale is the issue, it is whether the construction and design of the boat is the same from two different companies.

I thought I would do similar with the Viking "Oseberg", by Billing which I had bought many many years ago and had lost some of the ribs and part of the Keel. I used, I think, Amarti plans, but the positioning and shape of the ribs and Keel are very slightly different. Although the photographs you see of the two makes of the same Viking ship look the same, the parts are different enough not to fit.
Obviously copyright must play an important role, as one company can not replicate the same set of drawings as the other, and both must differ from the original.

I can see some differences but I'm not looking for absolute accuracy. I did wonder if Occre supplied the parts to Del Prado - they are/were both Spanish

Back