Schifetto Carlofortino - in scale 1:20

Hello everybody
I decided to take a break for the construction of the Enterprize, a very complex job, due to the shorter time I have in this period.
At this time I decided to make a simpler model that I have wanted to build for years.
A typical boat of the Mediterranean, the schifetto carlofortino, a gozzo that has the characteristic of having the sides with curved rowlocks.
Originally these boats were used for coral fishing or fishing for fish and lobsters, or other transport for trade along the Mediterranean coasts.
Those for trade were larger in size, even at 18 meters.
Now many have been rebuilt for lateen sailing sport regattas, making them very beautiful with the use of precious woods such as teak, iroko and mahogany.

Great project of a very interesting boat.
Looking a little bit like the dalmatian Leut (which I built years ago from scratch)
I will follow with big interest .....

Great project of a very interesting boat.
Looking a little bit like the dalmatian Leut (which I built years ago from scratch)
I will follow with big interest .....
Yes, it is a Mediterranean boat, even in Mallorca there are hulls with similar lines.
This one I am doing is originally from the island of S. Pietro colonized by the Ligurian population who in 1500 went to Tunisia for coral fishing and then returned to Italy on the island of S. Pietro in 1700.
The island was plundered by Barbary pirates since the mid-1800s.
More than 100 young men, women and boys were kidnapped one night, pirates enslaved them or demanded a ransom

The basic hull shape of the model looks remarkably like that of the Falkonet Leudo. I can understand Don's question.

There are several Leuts, Leudos etc. available from different manufacturers. But Leuts are smaller boats (I think)

Main difference is the form of the hull and the longer keel, to have space for the propeller and rudder.

I like the color of your timber very much - is it Elsbeere (swiss pear)?
One question: are the beams only dry fitted laying on top? I think three or four are laying not correct (at midship)

Looking very good !!!

Ina am looking for the way you will make the motor in scale 1:20...... :cool:

Back