Schooner Bluenose Colors

For those interested. The attached is a copy of a letter from Smith & Rhuland Limited in 1970 answering a modelers question about what the colors were of the original Bluenose. Fred Rhuland was kind enough to provide a very detailed outline in his response.

Attachments

• Bluenose Colors from S and R.pdf
    406.3 KB · Views: 60
Other than the letter above showing what colors are needed, is there a list of “when” to paint the various things? I know every build is different but I’m looking for something that makes it less likely to get to a step when I have that “ah shoot” moment where I know I should have painted something earlier.

Other than the letter above showing what colors are needed, is there a list of “when” to paint the various things? I know every build is different but I’m looking for something that makes it less likely to get to a step when I have that “ah shoot” moment where I know I should have painted something earlier.
Bugger, now that's a good question with possibly as many answers as builders (slightly exaggerated, to be honest).
- If you still have to use adhesives, don't apply primer or paint on the bond area. In general adhesives and paints are no happy partners.
- Another limitation is accessibility. If finish has to be applied and the area is not accessible any more after adding some more details, paint it beforehand. Parts like stanchions, inside of the Buffalo- and monkey rails, railings, waterways, bowsprit all painted before installation with all bond surfaces taped off.
- As far as the hull goes; I painted the hull before adding any deckstructure. It's rather easy to flip a hull without deckstructure upside down. Add structure in the mix and... Make sure to protect your beautiful painted hull against accidental damage, which will occur regardless.
- Be prepared for touch-ups.

It still boils down to planning ahead ánd accepting the occasional "bugger" moment; Murphy is and will be a patient traveling companion.
Build logs on, amongst others, SOS may also give some pointers as when to paint certain parts.

Bugger, now that's a good question with possibly as many answers as builders (slightly exaggerated, to be honest).
- If you still have to use adhesives, don't apply primer or paint on the bond area. In general adhesives and paints are no happy partners.
- Another limitation is accessibility. If finish has to be applied and the area is not accessible any more after adding some more details, paint it beforehand. Parts like stanchions, inside of the Buffalo- and monkey rails, railings, waterways, bowsprit all painted before installation with all bond surfaces taped off.
- As far as the hull goes; I painted the hull before adding any deckstructure. It's rather easy to flip a hull without deckstructure upside down. Add structure in the mix and... Make sure to protect your beautiful painted hull against accidental damage, which will occur regardless.
- Be prepared for touch-ups.

It still boils down to planning ahead ánd accepting the occasional "bugger" moment; Murphy is and will be a patient traveling companion.
Build logs on, amongst others, SOS may also give some pointers as when to paint certain parts.
Thanks. So you’re saying I have to plan ahead even more than I’m already struggling to do. I’ll have some time to fill this weekend maybe I’ll try to review a bunch of build logs and write some notes as opposed to reading and relying on my foggy memory

Thanks. So you’re saying I have to plan ahead even more than I’m already struggling to do. I’ll have some time to fill this weekend maybe I’ll try to review a bunch of build logs and write some notes as opposed to reading and relying on my foggy memory
That's about right. Especially reviewing build logs will be very helpful. Marking up drawings will also be beneficial.
Be aware, some finishes (Danish oil?) must be applied after all affected parts have been bonded. Virtually nothing adheres to that stuff.
Being prepared is always a good thing, but don't forget to enjoy your journey.

Back