Schooner La Belle Poule (1932) - Dusek Ship Kits 1:50

La Belle Poule is a French Navy schooner in service as a training vessel, and the fourth ship of that name in the French Navy. She was built in 1932 as a replica of a cod fishing vessel used off Iceland, as a training ship of the students of the École navale. During the Second World War, Belle Poule sailed to the United Kingdom after the Fall of France and was used by the Free French Naval Forces, returning to Brest in 1945. The schooner as well as her sister ship Étoile are still used by the École Navale as training ships in European waters.

Picked this kit kit up over a year ago. Like most other folks, the pandemic postponed a lot of stuff including our retirement move. But we’re here now and I’m just about finished setting up my workspace so its about time to get started.

This is a nice kit. Lots of laser cut parts from quality wood, good looking blocks and line, some very nice resin castings, and very good instructions and plan sheets. The box was nicely packed and parts inventory was complete.

BellePoule 2021 001.jpg

Thanks all for taking time to look and comment.

Regards,
Buddy

Over a longer time I was interested in this kit, so I am very happy, to see the work on her in a building log.
So I am looking forward to see your progress - and sitting in the first row, that I can completely follow your updates

Getting underway...

Belle Poule 2021-002.JPGBelle Poule 2021-003.JPG

Had a minor warp in the keel piece. Dampened one side and weighed it down with opposite curve overnight. Corrected. Dry fitting is next.
I'm quite pleased with the quality of materials and engineering in this kit.

Thanks y'all for taking time to look and comment.

Regards,
Buddy

Although I just joined the SoS Forums on Monday, I have been lurking about here for a while and watching some “how to” videos on YouTube. Lots of very nice work here!

Back to the task at hand…
Hull framing has gone along quite nicely. All the parts were very accurately cut and dry-fitted with a minimum of trimming and/or sanding. Assembled the hull framing using Titebond to secure everything and set it up overnight to cure.
Belle Poule 2021-004.jpg
Thanks again for the comments and "Likes."
Regards,
Buddy

Better to sand one hour more, otherwise you have to correct the planking during much more hours with maybe a bad final result
-> Your skeletton is looking very good

More fairing bulkheads. Install the sub-decking and stern piece. Sub-deck required a bit of fitting/trimming/sanding but nothing major.
The laser cutting is likely more accurate than my assembly technique...
and more sanding....

Belle Poule 2021-006.JPG

Thanks All for the comments and "Likes."
Regards,
Buddy

Last edited:
Finished fairing the bulkheads. Began first layer of planking.
Hull has 2 complete layers of planking and one partial layer. Planks are laser cut.

Belle Poule 2021-007.JPG
I have planked one POB hull previously, Model Shipways Fair American, and it wasn’t pretty… I think I ended up with more filler than actual wood…

Thanks All for the comments and “likes.”

Regards,
Buddy

La Belle Poule is a French Navy schooner in service as a training vessel, and the fourth ship of that name in the French Navy. She was built in 1932 as a replica of a cod fishing vessel used off Iceland, as a training ship of the students of the École navale. During the Second World War, Belle Poule sailed to the United Kingdom after the Fall of France and was used by the Free French Naval Forces, returning to Brest in 1945. The schooner as well as her sister ship Étoile are still used by the École Navale as training ships in European waters.

Picked this kit kit up over a year ago. Like most other folks, the pandemic postponed a lot of stuff including our retirement move. But we’re here now and I’m just about finished setting up my workspace so its about time to get started.

This is a nice kit. Lots of laser cut parts from quality wood, good looking blocks and line, some very nice resin castings, and very good instructions and plan sheets. The box was nicely packed and parts inventory was complete.

View attachment 232734

Regards,
Buddy
Dear Buddy alias @GearAdrift
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 232734

Regards,
Buddy
Dear Buddy alias @GearAdrift
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on this model going? Maybe you can show us some progress - it is highly interesting model

Back