Schooner Rhodora

My friend Earl Burke died some months ago of cancer. During the last six years of his life he worked on a scale replica of the American built schooner Rhodora. His faithful dog Raven stayed at his side while he worked on the model and slept beside it as a guardian. The model needed sails and a windless but Earl was too ill to finish it. The schooner has now been donated to the College of theNorth Athlantic, a branch of Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador for public display in Earl’s memory. Note in the photograph Raven’s chain hung on the bow.

IMG_0169.jpeg

I too am sorry for your and Mr. Burke's family loss. What a moving example of "It ain't over 'til it's over", determination and never giving up! How encouraging!
Thank you for that, and to the College of the North Atlantic for a lasting memorial. And to you, as well, for bringing this beautiful model and inspiring story to our attention.
Most sincerely,
Peter Gutterman

My friend Earl Burke died some months ago of cancer. During the last six years of his life he worked on a scale replica of the American built schooner Rhodora. His faithful dog Raven stayed at his side while he worked on the model and slept beside it as a guardian. The model needed sails and a windless but Earl was too ill to finish it. The schooner has now been donated to the College of theNorth Athlantic, a branch of Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador for public display in Earl’s memory. Note in the photograph Raven’s chain hung on the bow.

View attachment 379019
Thanks for sharing the story behind this beautiful schooner, Robert. A beautiful memory of your friend Earl that lives on.
Regards, Peter

Hallo @Robert Halliday
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back