Schooner Rudder Control

Some wonderful sharing of thoughts and ideas guys, I wonder if Brendan could post some side on views of the after end where the tube comes through, so we can get a clearer view of what the builder had in mind,
Best regards John,

This is my first post. I bought a very old wooden model of a schooner ship in an antique store. I guess early 1900's. The model measures 38 inches long by 48 inches high. I have never restored a model ship but I'm going to tackle this one.
The rudder is missing, including the post that connects the rudder to the steering mechanism on the deck. The steering mechanism itself is also missing. There is a narrow hollow copper pipe at the rear of the deck, that runs through the hull and emerges from the bottom of the hull where the rudder goes. However the pipe starts at the center line of the deck, but exits about 0.5 inch offset from the center line of the bottom of the hull.
I expected the pipe to exit on the center line of the hull so that a post that controls the rudder would align with the rudder.

Is the offset an error or is there a rudder control configuration that enables an offset post to connect to the rudder ?
Hallo @BJDaly
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back