Scissors

I purchased a set of fly tying scissors like @Philski suggested, but got mine off of Amazon.

I have read that others prefer nail clippers.

I haven't used either yet on rigging so can't tell you my preference, but will try both when the time comes.

Glenn

A tissue nipper is designed to cut very flush with the surface and not leave tags, so that might be a good choice. The ones I have are surgical grade from when I was still practicing podiatry, not designed for pedicure, but these might work;
It comes with a cuticle "pusher" which you might be able to sharpen into some sort of useful blade.

You can find sharp, superior scissors at fly shops where they sell materials and tools for fly fishing. Usually a great selection is available. Amazon:
I agree wholeheartedly. We've purchased our scissors in the fly section at Bass Pro Shop.

If you are in the USA. Go to any Hobby Lobby or Michael's store. Go to the sewing section. I got all my cutting materials there. Merry Christmas

Can anyone recommend a good pair of scissors for cutting rigging line.
The Joanns stores will have a large selection of Fiskar's scissors. Fiskar's makes a small scissors (they actually make hundreds of types of scissors. The company is in Finland). they call "micro tip". Sign up for Joanns mail catalog with discount coupons. and you will get some 50% discounts. You should end up paying about 8 bucks for the micro tip scissors. These scissors are a favorite with quilters. I probably have a half dozen pairs of different styles of micro tip scissors and use them all for rigging. These scissors are MUCH better (much sharper, much cheaper, much better constructed) than fly tie scissors; I have some of those also. Fiskars is in Finland. They make great cutting tools ( they make many more kinds of tools than just scissors) that seem to never get dull.
You can find sharp, superior scissors at fly shops where they sell materials and tools for fly fishing. Usually a great selection is available. Amazon:

I agree - surgical scissors, scalpels and tweezers are available at some pharmacy and sure in medical supplements store - in my country at least.
These are the basic (and cheapest) tools for me.

Radek

I agree - surgical scissors, scalpels and tweezers are available at some pharmacy and sure in medical supplements store - in my country at least.
These are the basic (and cheapest) tools for me.

Radek
Yes--surgical gear is easy to source and surprisingly inexpensive. I also use hemostats, which are clamps for clamping arteries during surgery (ouch). They are great for holding and putting tension on lines while you are rigging. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• SF rigging.JPG
    SF rigging.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 28
I use a pair of small clippers used in model railroading and other hobbies for clipping Photo Etched frets.

Of railroad supply places like Micro Mark sell "flush cutting" nippers that work well also.

Yes--surgical gear is easy to source and surprisingly inexpensive. I also use hemostats, which are clamps for clamping arteries during surgery (ouch). They are great for holding and putting tension on lines while you are rigging. Here's a pic:
I have only used "iris" snips from the local medical supply store. When I suspect that they are becoming dull I get another one for about $12.00, curved not straight blades, and use the more worn set for heavier cutting. RIch (PT-2)

Back