scratch build plans.

Can someone direct me to find plans for scratch build models. I've been searching the web for a source but not too impressed with the info provided with most of them.
any help would be appreciated. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the Benjamin Latham.
Thanks all, Tom from York

20220210_064041.jpg

Can someone direct me to find plans for scratch build models. I've been searching the web for a source but not too impressed with the info provided with most of them.
any help would be appreciated. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the Benjamin Latham.

View attachment 294175
Hi Tom, what kind of model are you asking?

Hi there, I'm looking for something on the line of a turn of the century schooner, with multiple masts. I'm not a big fan of the old galleon types. Maybe when I retire...LOL

Hi there, I'm looking for something on the line of a turn of the century schooner, with multiple masts. I'm not a big fan of the old galleon types. Maybe when I retire...LOL
Than I can recommend fully the planset by Franco Fissore of his brigantine La Scuna

Than I can recommend fully the planset by Franco Fissore of his brigantine La Scuna

That's so funny you recommended that particular planset. I was just looking into that ship.
Thanks

View attachment 294175
I have no problems using the plans in any of the Anatomy of a Ship volumes, and at $25-30 each you can't beat the price for the amount of detail they provide. With a Xerox you can convert them to any scale you desire. For a first time scratch builder the cutter Alert would be a good place to start. I have also built a number of models from the plates of plans in any of Howard Chapelle's books, especially the Search for Speed Under Sail, also cheap. They lack some detail but are fine for plank on bulkhead models. There are many other books with usuable plans. All you really need are a shear plan, body plan, deck plan (with furniture), and rigging layout. Mast and spar dimensions would be useful but with the hull dimensions you can estimate them by the formulas provided by a number of sources. To give you an idea of what is available, I've built a model of the Berbice, which you can read about in the scratch build forum, from the below plan in the Chapelle book:
f1 berbice plan (1).jpg

Are these available on the web?
Most of the books I recommended are available on the web as used books, and if you are interested in buying one try any of the used book sites. I use abebooks.com but there are many others. A listing of all the books in the Anatomy of a Ship series can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomy_of_the_Ship_series. Many of the Chapelle books are still in print but used are cheaper. I don't know what you are interested in building but Search for Speed Under Sail, The American Sailing Navy, and American Fishing Schooners would provide a lifetime of modeling possibilities. Good luck.

Most of the books I recommended are available on the web as used books, and if you are interested in buying one try any of the used book sites. I use abebooks.com but there are many others. A listing of all the books in the Anatomy of a Ship series can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomy_of_the_Ship_series. Many of the Chapelle books are still in print but used are cheaper. I don't know what you are interested in building but Search for Speed Under Sail, The American Sailing Navy, and American Fishing Schooners would provide a lifetime of modeling possibilities. Good luck.
Thank you once again.

"A Shipyard in Maine" by Doug Lee has a number of excellent plans in the appendices. These are schooners built at the Percy and Small yard in Bath, Maine. I used them as references to develop the BJ kits of CHARLES P. NOTMAN and WYOMING.

"A Shipyard in Maine" by Doug Lee has a number of excellent plans in the appendices. These are schooners built at the Percy and Small yard in Bath, Maine. I used them as references to develop the BJ kits of CHARLES P. NOTMAN and WYOMING.
I've been eying the Notman for my next build. We'll be moving in the next 4 months so I'll be waiting to setting up a new hobby area and a little shop in the garage for the real dirty stuff...LOL

Back