Scroll saw - late Xmas present to myself

Have fun with it, do some practice before real work to get feel of handling wood.

Also ensure you hook suction vacuum hose to opening for dust collection, and it helps keep work piece and work area clean.

It looks to have a work area light, but ensure you have adequate light to see work, as it get dusty quick.

Have fun with it, do some practice before real work to get feel of handling wood.

Also ensure you hook suction vacuum hose to opening for dust collection, and it helps keep work piece and work area clean.

It looks to have a work area light, but ensure you have adequate light to see work, as it get dusty quick.
Thanks Kurt. I've been using a shared scroll saw at our community workshop but too many people misusing it and I find I'm doing more maintenance than sawing. :(
Now I can work more at home (Covid free environment too) whenever I like. I've got a workshop dust-vac which fits so that's good.

I remember you build one for your current project, Ian. Now you have the real one! Enjoy. Make sure you share your experience with us.

P.S. I know it will be subjective (yours)!

Nice saw, Ian! According to its plate it is made in China but the name suggests a German origin. Is it so?
Have much fun with it!
János

You can buy hose port adapters for common tools. They come in variety of sizes and shapes.

View attachment 281043 View attachment 281044 View attachment 281045

View attachment 281047 View attachment 281048 View attachment 281049

View attachment 281050 View attachment 281051 View attachment 281053

Here is the source. Hope it helps ;)

There is also the same adapter available from Home Depot as in your top left picture Jim. I cut one to the hose size for my shop vac for a Byrnes table saw dust port.

that's a serious-looking piece of kit, Ian. Congrats.

I built my own dust collection/separation system for my basement workshop using a combination of all kinds of stuff from here and there. All the blast gates and most of the connections to tools were similarly manufactured in-house.

I'd also recommend a supply of GOOD blades. Nothing worse than a blade that dulls quickly or worse yet breaks easily.

Enjoy having your own saw!

Glenn
Hi Ian,
I would agree with Glenn, the blades you buy make all the difference.
This is my little story. When I first started using my second hand scroll saw I went to Bunnings and bought what I thought were the best blades they had, went home and used them and thought there was a problem with the saw due to poor performance.
Then at a Working with wood show I thought I would try buying some blades from the guy selling Hegner saws, that is after drooling all over his saws. :)
I went home and tried the new blades and they were fantastic it was hard to believe the difference.

Your new saw looks great with loads of features, enjoy using it.

Cheers,
Stephen.

I would be very interested in hearing how it performs as I'm itching to get a scroll saw myself. Unfortunately their special finishes on the 19th Jan.
I've only had time to run some 1/8" strips and cross cuts of Jacaranda through and I can say that I think it's a very solid unit which performs as it should. It comes with one 18 tooth blade and I've ordered some 24 tooth blades to compare the difference in cutting ability. Adjusting the tension is a matter of trial and error and I found if even slightly loose the blade twists and the cut veers off. Just a learning curve and not a fault with the saw. I would recommend it at this current price.

Hi Ian
Any updates on your saws cutting capabilities please? I ask because I bought a scroll saw some years ago and was extremely disappointed in it's abilities. It's sat unused and unloved ever since. I was hoping it would cut 1/8th" hardwood but but that turned out not to be the case. I'm a loiterer on this group and considering getting involved, and just running some ideas through my head.
FS

Back