Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller 26" [COMPLETED BUILD]

Tried the sides of thi iron and had favorable results. I found it much easier to have the iron stationary and the wood strip in my hands.

Here is a strake in place prior to gluing, no clamps or anything holding it in place.
20211230_185037.jpg

Here is the iron as I used it.
20211230_185008.jpg

Installing the next two strikes.
20211230_201047.jpg

20211231_095844.jpg

I purchased some different PVA, pH neutral, that has a longer working time than the glue I was using before. It gives me plenty of time to install and clamp the planks.

Thanks for looking,
Glenn

GAStan:
Your model has a very nice start, I love how you protected the jig with tape to aid in removal of the shell. I did the same but I used waxed paper with great results.
It will be a very nice model to build and for sure it will bring many challenges even though it looks simple to build.

Yes Sir.
That is so correct.
Unbelievable.
Stolen and never found, but whoever has it can’t even show it, so it is a crime and a selfish act.

GAStan:
Your model has a very nice start, I love how you protected the jig with tape to aid in removal of the shell. I did the same but I used waxed paper with great results.
It will be a very nice model to build and for sure it will bring many challenges even though it looks simple to build.
Thank you @Bluebeard. I actually got the idea from your log, didn't have any wax paper on hand but did have some packing tape.

You probably know that this painting "Storm on the Sea of Galilee" was stolen and never recovered.
I actually wasn't aware of that, thank you for posting it here.

Very clever kit design. I'll join in Glenn.
Those dowels in the lower corners of the bulkheads for attaching rubber bands, string, or other lines is a neat idea which works much easier than my prior wrapping around the entire strongback and hull. I will add those to the bulkheads that I am drawing for a scratch build Bronze Age trade ship. Enjoy your model. Rich (PT-2)

PT-2,
Since you talked about scratched built Bronze Age ship, and I know you love these ships, let me ask you this:
Do you have any Roman Corbita drawings?

No. I am not familiar with that ship but will have to Google it up. Rich
From a quick look I see that some illustrations show it with a "sprit" sail which improved the tacking ability that was not present in a typical brailed square sail which was often mounted too close to the center of resistance to bring the bow around and had to be move forward. I do have a research pap;er on the evolution of the "sprit" sail which I will pull out to review. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Too many papers to recall the contents of them without a key word or image which you provided. Rich

Those dowels in the lower corners of the bulkheads for attaching rubber bands, string, or other lines is a neat idea which works much easier than my prior wrapping around the entire strongback and hull. I will add those to the bulkheads that I am drawing for a scratch build Bronze Age trade ship. Enjoy your model. Rich (PT-2)
Thank you @PT-2. Looking at the manual it looks like Scott used to cut notches into the frames for rubber bands but didn't on mine for some reason. The pegs seemed like a good option so I tried them and they do work well. So far I've only used them for the keel and the first strakes, but I'm sure I'll use them when I get to the strakes that make the bend from the sides to the bottom of the hull.

Glenn

Coming along pretty nice.
These are the easiest planks, things will get tense when you atart shifting from sides to the bottom of the hull.

You are making very good progress Glenn. The laid-down planks are tight and have a very smooth flow to them, well done!

Current status of build. 7 strakes on each side. It takes a bit over an hour for each strake, to shape and install.
View attachment 279839

Happy New Year!!!
Glenn
What are the dimensions of the planks?
I have realized that in drafting my own bulkheads/frames I need to have made that decision as the sparse drawings show no planks at all and only what I am now interpreting as the face of the planking, not the face of the frames which in hull lines should be shown as with full size wood boats. Back to the starting line once again.
You are making good progress on your hull. Rich

Back