Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller 26" [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks, how thick? Rich
OOOPPSSSS! Incomplete question.. . . is the strake of planks 27 inches or one piece that long? At that time sawn limber producing planks was very limited is actual length, say 20 or 30 ft long so scarfing was required. How long in scale would your 27 inches be?
Then, the thickness question of the model lumber provided that you mentioned?
Rich

Keep in mind that the provider of this model is a guitar maker and according to our conversations, whenever he gets an order, he goes out and purchase a piece of lumber and rips it to size, but a good thing is that all the planks comes already tapered.
By the way, the material is a very soft light colored mahogany very easy to bend when wet.
F84E25EE-AFB3-42AD-8297-40262DC4841C.jpeg

Last edited:
The planks I received are .100" x .310" x 27.5". Nice mohagony as Bluebeard said.

I think the scale on this is close to 1:12. Model is 26", Galilee Boat is ~8.5meters.

Scott Miller also makes a 16" boat. The 26" boat has a lateen sail, and the 16" boat has a square sail. His reasoning is that nothing remains of the yards or masts to indicate which type of sail was used in the original. He thought the 26" boat might be a bit wide with a square sail for the mantel, so he chose the lateen sail for it. I'll be making one of each for a couple of pastor friends.

Nice progress. Those dowels in the bulkheads seem to work very well. Definately adding those to my own. Rich
Thank you Rich. They are working good, I think better than the notches would have. I have had to resort to using a stick to get the rubber bands through the hull as the spaces get too small for my fingers and the pegs are easier to catch the bands on than I think the notches would have been. Also having two anchor points per frame side adds versatility when arranging/rearranging the bands. I can highly recommend the pegs. Just be sure to carefully select the drill and dowel sizes for a tight fit, you can get a lot of force pulling on one side of the dowel as you use them.

Glenn

Another day a few more strakes.
20220102_100935.jpg

20220102_101000.jpg

20220102_101102.jpg

These strakes over the last two days have slowed progress considerably. The make the bend that transition the sides to the bottom of the boat and involve bends in two directions and twists both ways. Average time is 2-3 hours to shape and install one strake.

It's a routine-wet the plank, fit it to see what it needs, heat it, bend it, remove from heat and hold in place until it cools enough to retain its new shape, test fit. If fit is good move on to next section, if not repeat until fit is good. Once entire plank is shaped sand bevel to match as needed. I "get in the zone" and before I know it the Admiral has finished another Hallmark movie as she works on her jigsaw puzzle, and another plank is fitted. It's crazy how much satisfaction completing a single stake gives me.

Thank you once again for all the looks and likes.
Glenn

Another day a few more strakes.
View attachment 280358

View attachment 280359

View attachment 280360

These strakes over the last two days have slowed progress considerably. The make the bend that transition the sides to the bottom of the boat and involve bends in two directions and twists both ways. Average time is 2-3 hours to shape and install one strake.

It's a routine-wet the plank, fit it to see what it needs, heat it, bend it, remove from heat and hold in place until it cools enough to retain its new shape, test fit. If fit is good move on to next section, if not repeat until fit is good. Once entire plank is shaped sand bevel to match as needed. I "get in the zone" and before I know it the Admiral has finished another Hallmark movie as she works on her jigsaw puzzle, and another plank is fitted. It's crazy how much satisfaction completing a single stake gives me.

Thank you once again for all the looks and likes.
Glenn
Now starts to get a bit tricky to bend the planks.

I used a sealed PVC pipe long enough to cover the planks, fill it with water and soak them for 1/2 hour.
Place them over the jig, clamp it to accommodate the shape and use a hairdryer to pre shape them, once dried and proceed glueing it from the stern.

I used a sealed PVC pipe long enough to cover the planks, fill it with water and soak them for 1/2 hour.
Place them over the jig, clamp it to accommodate the shape and use a hairdryer to pre shape them, once dried and proceed glueing it from the stern.
I may have to give that a try. Thanks!

I may have to give that a try. Thanks!
You may have been anticipating and filing the edges for the planks around the transition radius from side to bottom so that each one has a properly angled face to receive, tightly, the plank being added. This was not as critical coming down the sides were the edges were at right angles. Your log is helping me in considering my drafting of the bulkheads to mold my trade ship hull. I have decided to not include frames with these bulkheads but form and insert them after the keel/hull are completed. Thanks for providing your log. Rich

Back