Searching for Dutch Ships

I am researching two Dutch ships of the West India Company, from the mid-1650's. One is simply described as a "ship" by the name of Coninck Salomon (King Solomon) which, among other voyages, departed the Netherlands in August 1653, and arrived in New Amsterdam 10 weeks later, in November. It sailed in tandem with another ship, De Gelderse Blom, (the Flower of Gelder[land]), which is described as a "galjoot" (galiot). I find no other descriptions of the particular-named vessels, and no reference to the Salomon as being a fluyt, jacht, East Indiaman, or any other build. The ship is later (1657 and later) said to have been used in the slave trade between West Africa and Curacao/Brazil. The artwork of L.F. Tantillo in the painting "A View of Fort Orange, 1652" shows what is identified as the Gelderse Blom, but it is based on the general description of a galjoot, not on any specifications, that I can discover. The Blom is said to have made yearly voyages from the Netherlands to New Amsterdam for several years.

I would appreciate any historical information any of you may have, to pass along.

I am researching two Dutch ships of the West India Company, from the mid-1650's. One is simply described as a "ship" by the name of Coninck Salomon (King Solomon) which, among other voyages, departed the Netherlands in August 1653, and arrived in New Amsterdam 10 weeks later, in November. It sailed in tandem with another ship, De Gelderse Blom, (the Flower of Gelder[land]), which is described as a "galjoot" (galiot). I find no other descriptions of the particular-named vessels, and no reference to the Salomon as being a fluyt, jacht, East Indiaman, or any other build. The ship is later (1657 and later) said to have been used in the slave trade between West Africa and Curacao/Brazil. The artwork of L.F. Tantillo in the painting "A View of Fort Orange, 1652" shows what is identified as the Gelderse Blom, but it is based on the general description of a galjoot, not on any specifications, that I can discover. The Blom is said to have made yearly voyages from the Netherlands to New Amsterdam for several years.

I would appreciate any historical information any of you may have, to pass along.
I tried in some resources, but unfortunately I was not successful - I will check also my library, maybe I can find something.
Maybe @Ab Hoving has some available information?

also here unfortunately I did not find anything about these two ships

I have found some references in letters in "Correspondence" by the New Netherland Institute, from De XIX Herren in Amsterdam to Director Stuyvesant in New Amsterdam referring to "the galjoot De Gelderse Bolm and our [WIC] ship Coninck Salomon," but no further identifying remarks. I am believing the Salomon was an East Indiaman, as it was later used as a slaver.

I have found the name of another ship of that time period, the Graft, which left Amsterdam for New Nederland in May of 1653, but no description. I would appreciate if anyone has knowledge of this ship, or can direct me to resources.

I am researching these ships because it appears my ancestor from
the Netherlands travelled to the New World on one of these three ships.

Maybe @Ab Hoving is able to give you some direction, where and how to search for these ships......

The word ‘schip’ (ship) is definately a ship type. It was the name of a type with a standard three-mast rig. Eastindiamen did not sail to American waters. They were only built for the Asian trade. There is no archive of the West Indian Company (WIC) any more as a result of a fire, but the type you aim for would probably best be compared with the pinas Nicolaes Witsen described. Building plans can be found on the internet.
The ‘galjoot’ (galliot) was a so-called one-and-a-half mast type, with a main mast and a small mast in the aft section. There are reasonable drawings in Chapman’s Architectura Navalia Mercatoria (1775).

Good luck,
Ab

"A View of Fort Orange, 1652" by L. F. Tantillo. Artist's rendition of the De Gelderse Blom (The Flower of Gelderland) being greeted by jachts and a barque on the Hudson. The Gelderse Blom is described by owner Wouter van Twiller in 1651 as being a "galjoot, of 60-70 last", or about 120-140 tons burden. It appears to be very much like a pinnace. The Blom was owned by the Rensselaer Colony (actually a commercial patent granted by WIC), and made several cross-Atlantic voyages, averaging one round-trip each year, between 1651 and 1657.
Blom.jpg

Last edited:

Hallo @DaveVanP
we all wish you the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Dear @DaveVanP
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back