Second layer of planking

I think folks do this process differently from eachother. I like to try and follow the first planking provided I did a good job with it. If I haven't I try to lay the hull out a bit better using the first planking mistakes as a sort of guide. The thin strip seem to lay better on the hull then the first ones. You want your hulls first planks sanded smooth all gaps filled and any place that planks arent attached along their edges need to be glued to one another. You will see this if you push in on the planking between bulkheads. I always edge glue the first planks to each other to prevent this but sometimes you will find places the planks didn't bond, when I find these areas I use CA glue to fasten them down. For gluing the second planks down I use Titebond Translucent glue which I spread on the surface of the plank with a small disposable brush. Once installed I squeeze out excess and wipe it away with a damp cloth then I tape the strip in place with green or blue painters tape till dry.

Last edited:
I think folks do this process differently from eachother. I like to try and follow the first planking provided I did a good job with it. If I haven't I try to lay the hull out a bit better using the first planking mistakes as a sort of guide. The thin strip seem to lay better on the hull then the first ones. You want your hulls first planks sanded smooth all gaps filled and any place that planks arent attached along their edges need to be glued to one another. You will see this if you push in on the planking between bulkheads. I always edge glue the first planks to each other to prevent this but sometimes you will find places the planks didn't bond, when I find these areas I use CA glue to fasten them down. For gluing the second planks down I use Titebond Translucent glue which I bread on the surface of the plank with a small disposable brush. Once installed I squeeze out excess and wipe it away with a damp cloth then I tape the strip in place with green or blue painters tape till dry.
Thanks for your input
I appreciate it

Hello Gilbert,
I'm no expert so I'll refrain from offering specific advice. But I will point you to my experience. I am presently doing the second layer of planking on my 1:65 Vasa and I have posted about my failures and successes. If you start here (scroll down to post #220) it will bring you to the beginning of second planking: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-1-65-deagostini.5904/page-11.
Hope my experience helps you in some small way!
Paul

I tried using wood glue and a hot iron to get the planks to stick faster and to get in the position I wanted. It worked, but it left shiny spots where I pressed too hard with the hot iron. I guess I could have sanded the the shiny spots, but I didn’t notice them until after I had used tung oil on them.

HI VICTOR I USE A SOLDERING IRON FROM WALLMART, WITH TIPS ORDERED FROM KOLDERSTOCK, IN ORDER TO ELIMANATE BURN I RUN THE PLANK UNDER COLD WATER FOR ABOUT A MINUTE, THE WATER ALSO HELPS THE SET TIME, CHECK OUT HEINRICHS LEUDO BUILD LOG HERE ON SOS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hello Gilbert,
I'm no expert so I'll refrain from offering specific advice. But I will point you to my experience. I am presently doing the second layer of planking on my 1:65 Vasa and I have posted about my failures and successes. If you start here (scroll down to post #220) it will bring you to the beginning of second planking: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-1-65-deagostini.5904/page-11.
Hope my experience helps you in some small way!
Paul
Hi Paul, thanks
Let me look into this post in details
I'll keep you posted

Back