Selecting my first (several) model(s)

As much as I'd love to jump into the H.M.S. Victory, my skills are sorely lacking to do that model any justice. I've looked into some longboat or yacht options with some minimal rigging and basic wood work but I'm not even entirely sure my skills are up for that challenge. Besides, I'm in no rush. I have many years ahead of me to do this

And so I'm opting for plastic until such a time as I build my abilities. Not to mention, the financial potential for waste is fairly high with some of the wood options.

So I'm asking for some suggestions of challenging models that won't break the bank but will look presentable and push me. So far I've been eyeballing some WWI and II warships and the golden era of ocean liners. Plus some of them would help if I could practice planking the deck.

If anyone has a suggestion or two as far as something challenging and fun, I'd love some input on the brands I've read about (China and Japan seem leagues ahead of many US manufacturers) and any models in particular. Thanks, all!

-Cheers

Hi Matt, You are corect about the Chinese and Japanese manufactuers my sugestion is 2 things the Japaneese manufactuer WOODY JOE has some mini models that is fun and should give you some experience in building in wood and they make for attractive model also on ebay they have maney MIDWEST MODELS with skill levels noted (ONE NOTE STAY AWAY FROM THE CANOE TYPES EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE RATED BEGINEERS THE ARE FAR ABOVE THAT LEVEL, they have the Chesapeake Bay Flatie that has some simple rigging, they show sails but as a novice i would stay away from sails, and as far as I am concerned stick with WOOD FOR NOW, HOPE THIS HELPS Don PS OTHER MEMBERS CAN ALSO GIVE YOU THERE INSIGHTS ALSO

Hi Matt, and welcome aboard SOS! Please have fun, building the models. One of my recommendations, if you don't mind, would be - Colin Archer Model Boat Kit by Billing Boats (B606).

• Difficulty Level: Beginner
  • Hull Type: Plank on frame
  • Box Contents: Plank on frame construction, laser cut plywood keel and frame components, wooden superstructure and decks, hull and deck fittings in brass and/or plastic, mast and spars in Ramin, rigging cord in various sizes. Includes Full-size plan sheets and an instruction manual with English Text. This should be definitely fun to build, and with some modifications (optional) will make a nice looking model.

Agre with Jim, Colin Archer Model Boat Kit by Billing Boats (B606). is a model with limited rig work,
this is a model of the first reskueboat that was put into public service in norway,
constructed by Colin Archer who also constructed the polar boat FRAM which led Fritiof Nansen to the North Pole.
Good luck.

Thank you all for the prompt and well-informed responses. The Endeavour longboat looks pretty good but I'm really digging that Archer by Billings. Don't think I'll try bashing my first kit too much but it looks like a fun project to cut the teeth on and maybe experiment a little.

Think I found my winner! Thanks again everyone. I'm in the process of moving so I'll have a good chance to build a dedicated space for this but I think I'll hold off until April when everything is moved and settled to officially begin.

Think I found my winner! Thanks again everyone. I'm in the process of moving so I'll have a good chance to build a dedicated space for this but I think I'll hold off until April when everything is moved and settled to officially begin.
Will wait for your build log, Matt.

Back