sensitivity..

Ken,
Unfortunately this is the case. I for myself am infamously politically incorrect and I intend to proudly stay like this and I think the best (and only) way is to express ourselves we used to do it before this PC plague and to ignore all those woke nonsences. But enough of politics and let's go back to build!
János

I tried to give a girl what I thought was a compliment.... (it used to be) She about took my head off.....(no pun) I called her the most attractive woman in the neighborhood....oooohhhh..... in appropriate... I used to open doors for women.... Last time I did that... "I don't need a man to open doors for me"...... just can't win....

Please:
Do open the door for me.

I think currently:
women is different of lady.
men is different of gentlemen.

Please keep on with being a gentleman.
Suggestion:
Try with older people. They are old style.

Please:
Do open the door for me.

I think currently:
women is different of lady.
men is different of gentlemen.

Please keep on with being a gentleman.
Suggestion:
Try with older people. They are old style.
I am also old... I feel so old... grey beard.. hangs down to my knees.. in needs of haircut.... feel like moses

I agree, although, not being young myself anymore, I would give up my seat on the bus or on the train to anybody who is evidently in need of being seated and hold the door open to anyone, irrespective of gender. For me it is an act of courtesy.
Some people in Germany have a gender problem with the German language. It has 3 articles. masculine, feminine and neutrum. It would take some explaining what the issue is, but suffice to say, a lot of personalities of radio and TV insist on differentiating the plural in all three genders, which didn't exist a couple of months back. Plus ca change! PC, and all.
The ship is always a her!

I open my car door for everyone regardless of gender for two reasons: First, I think it is a nice and polite thing to do. And second, when I open the passenger door it unlocks the rest of the car doors so i don't have to unlock my driver door when go around to it.
I also walk people (regardless of gender) to their car when they're leaving my house. Again, I just think it's a nice thing to do and a good way to end our visit.

It wouldn't be great for us all to be the same. No one of us is made perfect. At work I've attended on courses for Equality Inclusion and Diversity...and I still make mistakes. An additional area for misinterpretation is english is not everyones first language, and for those of us for whom it is, levels of education sometimes limit our ability to express them self's with optimum quality.
I applaued Ken S, we need to step back and think before wading in with adverse comments. Respect to all.

I am also "old school". I was raised to have manners, yet be honest and transparent. @LuigiSoft, this phenomena you mention is now spreading throughout the world. There is now a group of people, regardless if they were born anatomically a man or a woman, refuse to be categorized by one of those genders. They have created a category called, "non-binary", and insist they be referred to as "they" or "them". I think that is fine, but in Canada they have passed legislation that insists if you do not call them that, you are discriminating and can be not only fined, but jailed, whether it was your intention or not.

There is an imminent Canadian scholar, a clinical psychologist, named Jordan Peterson, who taught at Harvard for 7 years, who refused to be told what words he could use in expressing his own opinion. There is a documentary called, "The Rise of Jordan Peterson", in which he expresses why this type of law is very dangerous and how it present a slippery slope that could lead to "totalitarianism". It is both fascinating and compelling in its messaging. I highly recommend it.

I say what I feel, respectfully of course. After all, to ignore reality, well, it's reckless in my opinion.

I was nurtured, with the valuable saying, "Treat others the way you want to be treated." with the understanding that if you do so you can't go wrong. Somehow in this day and age, it seems you CAN go wrong regardless of how nice or respectful you are of others. That won't stop me from being the best person I can be.

Cheers,
Ken

I tried to give a girl what I thought was a compliment.... (it used to be) She about took my head off.....(no pun) I called her the most attractive woman in the neighborhood....oooohhhh..... in appropriate... I used to open doors for women.... Last time I did that... "I don't need a man to open doors for me"...... just can't win....
I do all the time, whether they appreciated or not, I will not stop behaving as a Gentleman like I was brought up. Is their issue and not mine, they are the ones that would chose to be "insulted", and behave kindly as a lady should or not. Chivalry is not dead.

I agree, although, not being young myself anymore, I would give up my seat on the bus or on the train to anybody who is evidently in need of being seated and hold the door open to anyone, irrespective of gender. For me it is an act of courtesy.
Some people in Germany have a gender problem with the German language. It has 3 articles. masculine, feminine and neutrum. It would take some explaining what the issue is, but suffice to say, a lot of personalities of radio and TV insist on differentiating the plural in all three genders, which didn't exist a couple of months back. Plus ca change! PC, and all.
The ship is always a her!
Das Schiff ... das ist richtig.

'Politically Correct' is a dangerous concept, and one I do not subscribe to.
Politeness costs you nothing. I will always hold a door for someone or give up a seat if a person needs it. Yes, I may be 'old school', but I think the world was better for it.

Ted

Back