Sergal Cutty Sark scale 1:78 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

The beautiful background makes the Cutty look even more life-like. Great job Robert!

A bird’s eye view from aloft , with all the ropes , it is a challenge not to do any damage , it happens unfortunately when focusing on a work item , working on the yard chains close to the masts comes to mind , also added an inside stepladder near the pilot ladder on the port side
The ship looks well done but the seas she sails in look dark and hard!

I thought to take her outside with clouds in the background is spectacular, still working on the yards and tidying up , I used a gold pencil to address the ’cutty’ and the name on the bow that had a copper shade , also hanks to be replaced here and there , she is back in the garage ( ship yard) for completion , I obtained a decent size tweezer as it becomes more and more difficult to gain access with all the ropes etc , well almost 6 months ago when I started this project , immensely enjoy building her

View attachment 272657

View attachment 272658

View attachment 272659

View attachment 272660

View attachment 272661
Just a comparison, I think it is pretty accurate don’t you think ?

4BABC7CE-031C-4BF3-8DE8-B449A90D6869.jpeg1F2A09D6-2330-4748-91F1-BA8ABDF431B0.jpegCutty_Sark_(ship,_1869)_-_SLV_H91.250-163.jpg

Thanks Grant, I know SA very well , as a MN officer sailed between SA and Australia back and forwards on the ‘Safocean Albany‘ registered in Durban , owned by Royal Interocean Lines (Dutch) but in joint venture with Saf Marine
Safocean Albany entering Durban in the early 80’ no gps at that time , using Celestial navigation and radio beacons , mind you traveling 21+ knots ! No big deal , in the 2nd picture me as 2nd Officer on the right , containerisation made these ships obsolete, she was designed for speed and the Hull was designed as such

EFFA96A7-9078-469B-81C2-9319ADAAF9FA.jpeg8325F439-6E1D-4DE7-A68D-910D57FF7B82.jpeg

I thought to take her outside with clouds in the background is spectacular, still working on the yards and tidying up , I used a gold pencil to address the ’cutty’ and the name on the bow that had a copper shade , also hanks to be replaced here and there , she is back in the garage ( ship yard) for completion , I obtained a decent size tweezer as it becomes more and more difficult to gain access with all the ropes etc , well almost 6 months ago when I started this project , immensely enjoy building her

View attachment 272657

View attachment 272658

View attachment 272659

View attachment 272660

View attachment 272661
A very impressive model! Well done, Robert.
And the pictures in daylight and with the scenery shows all of her gorgeous lines.
Regards, Peter

Safocean Albany entering Durban in the early 80’ no gps at that time , using Celestial navigation and radio beacons , mind you traveling 21+ knots ! No big deal , in the 2nd picture me as 2nd Officer on the right , containerisation made these ships obsolete, she was designed for speed and the Hull was designed as such
Those are so awesome. A bit of history- I remember the narrow port entry and even for our small L34 I had to get a skippers port license to exit and entry. The small pilot boats used to take a pilot to ships to exit and enter. When the NE pumped we use to run the spinnaker all the way in it was quite exhilarating.

Those are so awesome. A bit of history- I remember the narrow port entry and even for our small L34 I had to get a skippers port license to exit and entry. The small pilot boats used to take a pilot to ships to exit and enter. When the NE pumped we use to run the spinnaker all the way in it was quite exhilarating
In those days before GPS or satellites, there where occasions of overcast all the way from our last call in Mauritius to our next port for instance Port Elizabeth using dead reckoning and radio beacon bearings including a hundred fathom line plot along the coast to get a fix , radar bearings very inaccurate due to a very straight coastline in that area , it worked .

Super job. Wow - 6 months to build and rig is +++++fast. I have been thinking about "attempting" a full rigged ship as a future project and the Cutty Sark is obviously a classic choice. I have been looking at the various offerings by kit manufacturers and wondered what your overall take on the Sergal kit is now that you are at the end of the build - Quality of kit and fittings, overall build process, accuracy of the model, Value for money, anything else that you liked/disliked? It is nice to pick up on anything that will sway me to a particular kit.

Dom.

Super job. Wow - 6 months to build and rig is +++++fast. I have been thinking about "attempting" a full rigged ship as a future project and the Cutty Sark is obviously a classic choice. I have been looking at the various offerings by kit manufacturers and wondered what your overall take on the Sergal kit is now that you are at the end of the build - Quality of kit and fittings, overall build process, accuracy of the model, Value for money, anything else that you liked/disliked? It is nice to pick up on anything that will sway me to a particular kit.

Dom.
Hello Dom , thanks for your comments , I try to be informative as possible the choice of kit etc , I had a look at other forums (Modelshipworld) and decided to obtain the Sergel Mantua kit as the most promising , the written instructions are not all that great however the plans are good , just take your time and there are plenty of sites with excellent photographs .Building the model I experienced , I double planked the deck in place , not an issue but in hindsight better to do this before , also some suggested to fill the voids between the bulkheads to avoid warping , I didn’t do this as you have probably seen during my built and using clamps to secure the planks would make this impossible , so filling the voids is not necessary.

The bulkhead extensions have to be removed when the planking is in place , the plans will show this how to go about this , the kit supplies plenty of planking also for the double planking , so you don’t have to worry about shortage , copper plating aplenty , apparently I have read shortage but not in my experience , however I had to reorder blocks ,belaying pins , Hemp rigging ( Cornwall model boats in the UK) apparently Mantua have a site in the UK .

I worked my way forward to aft with the rigging and , and just make sure whatever you do the limitations and access you endure due to the rigging already in place , it is quite a big ship but as it progresses you will be very proud of her as you go along , I also had to alter and made modifications here and there and add extras , personal touches and why not ?

Initially I painted the top masts black , just didn’t like the result and re-varnished instead , IMPORTANT: make sure that brass mast fittings with holes are actually accessible and have to be re-drilled I have experienced , a nuisance if in place .
So now and then a copper plate dislodging itself, not a big deal a blob of CA on the plate will fix that .
I have ordered a Display case for this model , just waiting for the delivery and that included the base as well , pictures coming
Good luck with your choice
Rob

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the detailed info. That will be really helpful in making my choice of kit. Although, I think it may be a while before I have built up the courage to take on a full rigged ship project! I have just finished my Bluenose II and rigging that took me a long time (and that doesn't even have any yards to worry about!), so the thought of doing all that rigging is really daunting! I will look back through your log and see all the steps you went through.

Dom

Just received the display case , however the supplied midship support and pedestals not correct and they will have to be changed , I found them too flimsy , anyway we will address that , so far a dry fit in the case and I am really wrapped , at least the ‘Queen’ has her own berth , now finishing her my priority , the yards are all on .

CAF78B7A-4ACC-45CF-9A22-83981A21A0D3.jpeg635ADCA5-3215-4D9D-B11D-79E39808A88F.jpegBF4CFC2E-A598-4004-937B-3B84CB0FDBAF.jpegEBE1994E-0BBB-4936-B55A-9929E314FDAD.jpeg

Just received the display case , however the supplied midship support and pedestals not correct and they will have to be changed , I found them too flimsy , anyway we will address that , so far a dry fit in the case and I am really wrapped , at least the ‘Queen’ has her own berth , now finishing her my priority , the yards are all on .

View attachment 274878View attachment 274879View attachment 274880View attachment 274881
Wow! Beautiful Robert!
Who do you buy your cases from?

Wow! Beautiful Robert!
Who do you buy your cases from?
Hi Dean ,thanks for your kind words .
The Display Case :

I bought them from https://www.seacraftgallery.com.au, in Australia however the cases are made in China so export to other countries shouldn’t be a problem ,just check with them , in my case because of the ‘Cutty’s size it had to be custom made ($$$) , I had one made for the Bluenose a while ago and that made me order a similar one for this Lady .

Hi Dean ,thanks for your kind words .
The Display Case :

I bought them from https://www.seacraftgallery.com.au, in Australia however the cases are made in China so export to other countries shouldn’t be a problem ,just check with them , in my case because of the ‘Cutty’s size it had to be custom made ($$$) , I had one made for the Bluenose a while ago and that made me order a similar one for this Lady .
Thanks Robert! I will look into it.

A studding sail, or stun'sl(pronounced stuns'l /ˈstʌnsəl/) is an extra sail on a square rigged vessel for use in fair weather. It is set outside the square sails, using stun'sl booms which run out along the yards. They came into use some time in the middle of the 17th century and by the beginning of the 19th century were usual on all square rigged sailing vessels. They started to become less common in the last quarter of the 19th century, as the economies of smaller crews and avoidance of damage to the ship's gear became more important than a fast voyage.

That’s why you won‘t see them on the ‘Cutty’

B863D5B5-F8A2-4BB6-B814-4F062A76F43A.jpegADE17F10-8281-4DE6-B60A-840213DD905A.pngF430FDE9-74CD-45DC-8174-7C0F671FA189.jpeg

Wow Robert! Stunning model, beautiful display case, breathtaking view and splendid house all thrown together. You can be very happy of what you have done with the Cutty Sark - well done, young man!

Wow Robert! Stunning model, beautiful display case, breathtaking view and splendid house all thrown together. You can be very happy of what you have done with the Cutty Sark - well done, young man!
Thank you Heinrich for your kind words , I loved building the Cutty , reading the history of the Clippers , my next project might be the ‘Duyfken ‘ the history behind that , always a great inspiration , new pedestals and midship support on its way , in the meantime her berth in the garage !

Back